I've probably done my last road ride of the year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just not felt the love this year. All my cycling has felt like a chore. Don't think I've managed a single ride over about 35miles, no consistency and I've ridden just for basic fitness.

I did a little tour of Anglesey with Mrs C which I soured my way through but nothing else has grabbed me, so time to ditch it and do something else. I may do some stuff on the mtn bike and I might try running again. If the running works out and it doesn't want to make me scratch my eyeballs out, I might aim for the Anglesey half marathon next April but it's two years since I've run and I don't think my knees are getting any better, so......

Anyway, it's a feeling of relief to just sack it off now and do something else. Happens sometimes and I'm not going to fight it.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Best thing - don't fight it and certainly don't let it become a chore. We all need a complete break every so often.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thirty five miles is a ridiculous distance to go if your heart isn't in it. Just go out for ten minutes at a brisk pace, two maybe three times a week. It won't be a chore and you'll be amazed how even such relatively short spell can retain a lot of your cycling fitness if you do it regularly.

Lots of DiY about the house lately means I have only been getting out for half an hour once or twice a week most of the summer. That has been enough to keep the legs fit enough to turn the cranks without seizing up.

si_c

Guru
I'd just leave it for a bit, weather is getting a bit sh¡t now anyway. Maybe plan for a couple of social rides at some point with junior @Crackle - coffee/cake/beer. .

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I generally agree with running being a chore. I'm lucky where I live is by the coast so all of my running can be off road or on firm beach/cinder type track or on trails. That makes it more interesting. I used to enjoy running with my faithful companion but he's ageing and has a collapsed paw now so I'll just see if it works out this time. If not I'll find something else to do.

Hang up your cycling gear for a while and try something else, anything else, preferably involving some skill at which you are not very good: kayaking, rowing, climbing wall, yoga, tai chi, martial arts., water polo, horse polo.

Top Bottom