I've probably done my last road ride of the year

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Crackle, 12 Sep 2018.

1. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Just not felt the love this year. All my cycling has felt like a chore. Don't think I've managed a single ride over about 35miles, no consistency and I've ridden just for basic fitness.

I did a little tour of Anglesey with Mrs C which I soured my way through but nothing else has grabbed me, so time to ditch it and do something else. I may do some stuff on the mtn bike and I might try running again. If the running works out and it doesn't want to make me scratch my eyeballs out, I might aim for the Anglesey half marathon next April but it's two years since I've run and I don't think my knees are getting any better, so......

Anyway, it's a feeling of relief to just sack it off now and do something else. Happens sometimes and I'm not going to fight it.

johnnyb47, Brandane, gbb and 5 others like this.
  2. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Über Member

Best thing - don't fight it and certainly don't let it become a chore. We all need a complete break every so often.

johnnyb47, Brandane, HLaB and 3 others like this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

My thoughts are with you/ I've just dropped running. Used to love it, but lately it just seems incredibly hard, tiresome work. I've upped the cycling and hit the weights again, so the time I would have spent running is spent wisely, and not frittered away.

4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Give it a nice break and I'm sure the pull of the bike will creep back.

johnnyb47, Milzy, Donger and 3 others like this.
  5. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

If anything makes me rekindle my love of cycling it is running. I find it hateful and do it for load bearing exercise, but honestly cycling on ice with slick tyres is more fun.

johnnyb47, Milzy and Andy in Germany like this.
  6. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

So that's the reason you're on here more :laugh:

Andy in Germany and Drago like this.
  7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Thirty five miles is a ridiculous distance to go if your heart isn't in it. Just go out for ten minutes at a brisk pace, two maybe three times a week. It won't be a chore and you'll be amazed how even such relatively short spell can retain a lot of your cycling fitness if you do it regularly.

Lots of DiY about the house lately means I have only been getting out for half an hour once or twice a week most of the summer. That has been enough to keep the legs fit enough to turn the cranks without seizing up.

8. si_c

si_c Veteran

I'd just leave it for a bit, weather is getting a bit sh¡t now anyway. Maybe plan for a couple of social rides at some point with junior @Crackle - coffee/cake/beer. .

9. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

I generally agree with running being a chore. I'm lucky where I live is by the coast so all of my running can be off road or on firm beach/cinder type track or on trails. That makes it more interesting. I used to enjoy running with my faithful companion but he's ageing and has a collapsed paw now so I'll just see if it works out this time. If not I'll find something else to do.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  10. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

if you have the choice then there is no reason to do something that you no longer enjoy

Brandane, classic33 and Drago like this.
  11. Slick

Slick Veteran

I'm sure it happens to most from time to time. A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

Brandane, Paulus and dave r like this.
  12. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

Start sailing perfect weather coming up, ^_^

screenman likes this.
  13. Last ride of the year?

Not done my first one yet :whistle:

Let me be a lesson in what happens once you have a 'little break'^_^

fossyant, Paulus, theclaud and 10 others like this.
  14. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

Hang up your cycling gear for a while and try something else, anything else, preferably involving some skill at which you are not very good: kayaking, rowing, climbing wall, yoga, tai chi, martial arts., water polo, horse polo.

15. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

It's the cake and beer I need to work off with something!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice