IYKYK - phrases you use some won’t understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something @postman said (Nighthawk calling London), in Mundane News, reminded me. I thought of asking this a few weeks ago, after I’d made a Discworld reference.

How many of you regularly introduce phrases into conversation which will only be recognised and appreciated by those “in the know”?

Share your favourites?

“Smoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast”

“I was just p1ssing by your doorway” as a couple of examples

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Something @postman said (Nighthawk calling London), in Mundane News, reminded me. I thought of asking this a few weeks ago, after I’d made a Discworld reference.

How many of you regularly introduce phrases into conversation which will only be recognised and appreciated by those “in the know”?

Share your favourites?

“Smoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast”

“I was just p1ssing by your doorway” as a couple of examples

Ace

All the same classic comedy sources, but we go slightly off-centre…

(The kettle, like…) “the bro is onnnn.” Airplane 2, courtroom jive. Then for a flourish on delivering the associated cuppa, “just dried leaves. Boiled”. HHG

Whenever one is found in the house: “one huge spider. Polite though.” HHG

“Got to have a system, you’ve gotta have a system.” Usually followed by “Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Echobelly!” Mid 90s Harry Hill before he sold out 🤣

As well as the usual cunning plans, 2 spikes being an extravagance, can we come in for a gloat?s from various Blackadders.

There are some more modern ones, often from Taskmaster, but time will tell whether they endure. 😄

Great Maker!

You are finite, Zathras is finite, this is wrong tool... (note, replace tool with whatever it is you are rummaging for)

No BOOM today, BOOM tomorrow. There's always a BOOM tomorrow.

The avalanche has started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.

Why is it always thin air? Why is it never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-but-could-stand-to-lose-a-few-pounds air?

Do not thump the Book of G'Quan. It is disrespectful.

There is a hole in your mind...

Top Bottom