Jack and Grace Cotton Memorial Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's usually popular. I haven't ridden it for years – since it was called the Horseshoe 100 in fact. It was always a good sociable event.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ridden it 2 or 3 times. Enjoyable ride allways well supported good controls.Only slight concern is the lanes on the way to Berkeley can be icy.But that applies to any winter ride that uses minor roads.

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
This is a great ride - first Audax I ever rode back in about 2004 . . . only downsides as mentioned are the risk of ice and/or very mucky roads on the first segment to the control beside the river.

Sadly not able to ride next year with a date clash.

Rob

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
Not yet experienced ice whilst riding the trike yet. Not too phased on corners as chance of falling off very slight, and may get some rear end drift. However mud and ice could severely limit my forward progress on hills, as my weight is spread evenly across three wheels I can loose traction on loose and slippery surfaces, already encountered this when attempting to climb hills which have wet leaf debris strewn across them.

U

User482

Wrong neck of the woods for me.
Seeing as I've now looked it up, I may as well share the link http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-30/
104 km SW of Bristol

The route is north of Bristol...

Ridden it 2 or 3 times. Enjoyable ride allways well supported good controls.Only slight concern is the lanes on the way to Berkeley can be icy.But that applies to any winter ride that uses minor roads.
Yes, I went for a slide along the tarmac on that stretch when I rode it in 2015

Ajax Bay

Guru
104 km SW of Bristol
My interest level rose: central Exeter is exactly 104km due SW of Bristol. I'm sure it's a lovely ride, even if it goes north of Bristol. Back roads to Quedgeley, NW and parallelling the A38, and back roads back, SE of the A38.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
As I'm based just South of Gloucester, this one comes right through my patch and does lots of the lanes we ride on our club rides. It's a nice route. As has already been said, the 2015 edition was blighted by ice between Thornbury and Berkeley ... but you can't blame anyone for that or assume that it will happen again. I'll be doing my favourite audax, the Windrush Winter warm-up myself, which is on the same weekend .... otherwise I would have happily done this one again.

U

User482

As I'm based just South of Gloucester, this one comes right through my patch and does lots of the lanes we ride on our club rides. It's a nice route. As has already been said, the 2015 edition was blighted by ice between Thornbury and Berkeley ... but you can't blame anyone for that or assume that it will happen again. I'll be doing my favourite audax, the Windrush Winter warm-up myself, which is on the same weekend .... otherwise I would have happily done this one again.

Those two always used to be on consecutive weekends (I did both last year), why they moved it to create a clash is beyond me.

U

User482

Why not man up and do both? - one is Saturday, one is Sunday

Rob

Thanks for the advice, but I thought I'd "man up" by not leaving my wife to look after the kids for the entire weekend.

Top Bottom