Jack Russell/Shih Tzu 1 devil dog 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was out walking my Jack Russell cross Scih Tzu mutt yesterday when one of those horrible pitbull type things made a bee line for us. It was off its lead,the owner (on his mobile) couldn't give a toss. The usual "it wont harm it,he's only bring friendly" stuff came out before it launched itself at us! I managed to pick my mutt up and shield him,turning my back on the monster which was by now jumping up at us and trying to get at him. I back heeled the beast then turned round and cracked it on the head with my aluminium walking stick,it backed off then the owner ran over and told me what he'd do to me if i ever hit his dog again. The red mist came down i told him what i thought of his type and his horrible dog. He seemed surprised that someone had stood up to him and wasn't scared by his bullying intimidating tactics. He backed off and seemed lost for words,until he reached a safe distance then started mouthing off about what he'd do blah blah.:rolleyes:
The point of my post is to let folk know that these types are mostly cowards at heart,that's why they have to have such a creature by their side,and if it's reasonably safe to do so you should stand up to them and send them on their way looking like the complete cowards and losers they are!:thumbsdown:

The dog is not to blame here ... just the owner there are Idiots lurking around every corner !

Lullabelle

Banana
Some dog walkers don't think. One day whilst out there was an elderly gentleman walking with 2 sticks, 2 dogs run up to him, ok, they meant him no harm but they could easily have knocked him over and done some serious damage, he whacked 1 with a stick and the owner gave him such a mouth full for hitting his dog but the old boy was just protecting himself, he didn't know they were friendly they just rushed up to him and nearly took him off his feet. Dog owners: be aware of what your dog is doing and of those around you.

My 'father-in-law' died in January due to a 'friendly' dog running up to him (on a long lead but not being held in hand), ran around him, tripped him up and he fell over and knocked himself out.

He never regained consciousness and his family asked for the life-support machine to be switched off two weeks after the incident after his brain showed no signs of activity at all.

Up 'til then he had been a sprightly 85 year old.

Svendo

Guru
@Accy cyclist : Well done sir.

@Dayvo : My sympathies, and that is an important cautionary tale for all dog owners

But I would advise caution, the owners may be cowardly at heart, but the dogs do remain dangerous (which is the owner's responsibility not the dog's obv.). My Border Collie Daisy had her leg bitten badly by a Staffie type, and my partner got bitten too. (The owner legged it ASAP once the dogs were separated), and I've had injuries from similar incidents as well.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Reading this, looking at the language, I thought it was a joke at first..... All I can say is the only attitude I can see was from you, I mean, re read what you just wrote man! (Ok, so the dog was off the lead, but, still, that doesn't instantly make it a bad thing *read below*).

Owning a Staffy as I do, I know only too well that people instantly judge you and treat you like some sort of criminal just because of the dog you have (even though she is a Pedigree.... Well, Ex Pedigree as she only has 3 legs). I see the way people look at me.

Whilst I don't know the circumstances, and generally wouldn't let her off the lead (she never want to go far from you anyway), I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. Yes they might be a bit rough, but that is just it. Having lived with one for 10 years, trust me on this!
Disconcerting at first, but usually no harm is meant, and if I saw someone having a total overreaction like you did, I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Does that make me a coward?? No, Does that make Cindy a Devil dog?? No, of course not I like Cindy for who she is, not what kind of dog she is.

You see, you people go on about the owner, but take a look at your OWN reaction for a moment, an over reaction can be just as bad and in fact can make things a lot worse!! (Yet again, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, brochure and amusing novelty hat).

Now, whilst I generally don't let Cindy off the lead now, many other dogs are let off the lead all the time without any ill effects, Staffie or anything else.

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
Reading this, looking at the language, I thought it was a joke at first..... All I can say is the only attitude I can see was from you, I mean, re read what you just wrote man! (Ok, so the dog was off the lead, but, still).

Owning a Staffy as I do, I know only too well that people instantly judge you and treat you like some sort of criminal just because of the dog you have (even though she is a Pedigree.... Well, Ex Pedigree as she only has 3 legs). I see the way people look at me.

Whilst I don't know the circumstances, and generally wouldn't let her off the lead, I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. Trust me on this!
Disconcerting at first, but usually no harm is meant, and if I saw someone having a total over reaction like you did, I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Does that make me a coward?? No, Does that make Cindy a Devil dog?? No, of course not

You see, you people go on about the owner, but take a look at your OWN reaction for a moment, an over reaction can be just as bad!! (Yet again, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, brochure and amusing novelty hat).

Fair point, sorry for any implied generalisation. It's unfortunate that irresponsible dog owners mean others feel that way.

and if I saw someone having a total overreaction like you did, I wouldn't be too pleased either.

I wouldn't call protecting your own dog and, possibly, being concerned for your own welfare a 'total overreaction!'

If the owner chooses not to keep his/her dog under control AT ALL TIMES, then everybody has the right to defend themselves as they see fit when confronted by said dog.

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Whilst I don't know the circumstances, and generally wouldn't let her off the lead (she never want to go far from you anyway), I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. Yes they might be a bit rough, but that is just it.

You are right. You were not present to make the judgement that you have. Nor can you project the behaviour of your own dog onto the one that Accy cyclist encountered.

I too was not present but I'm more inclined to side with Accy cyclist than with you.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Most owners aren't bad, yes, there are some, but then there are the others might just be inexperienced. I can't pass judgement on the original owner in this thread as we don't know everything, but as dog owners, I bet we have all made mistakes.

The over reaction can be just as bad as the dog, if it is an excitable type will take this to be part of some sort of game and compound matters (Of course, being hit makes a difference, but the dog might then think it has to defend itself and its owner from you).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wouldn't call protecting your own dog and, possibly, concerned for your own welfare a 'total overreaction!'

What was the dog doing exactly?? The owner knows its ok and has said so. Ok, so the owner was not as attentive as he could have been, but to then hit it and then come on here spouting forth about how it was a devil dog and the owner a coward - To me that is an overreaction!

If the owner chooses not to keep his/her dog under control AT ALL TIMES, then everybody has the right to defend themselves as they see fit when confronted by said dog.
Nor can you project the behaviour of your own dog onto the one that Accy cyclist encountered.

You are right, but having been round such types and knowing what they do, I probably do have a pretty good idea of what happened, that's all.

Top Bottom