Jacket Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloominslow

Hello guys!

Just looking for a bit of advice on buying a waterproof jacket suitable for the commute and also my rides out round yorkshire on the weekend. Ideally i don't want to spend over £100, and i want it to be pretty light weight.

Any ideas or suggestions?

JohnHenry

Loose member.
I got a lovely "Trespass" in a drawstring bag for five quid - Edinbugh Woollen Mill. Send the £95 I've just saved you to me - I'll put it to good use.:biggrin:

yello

This question gets asked on average every month :whistle:

Yes, it is one of those questions that does crop up a fair bit. But, you know, there's always a recommendation for a jacket I've not heard of before. So I have a bit of a read about the jacket and come to the conclusion that there's still nothing new out there!

I was listening to Laurent Jalabert (ex-pro TdF rider, now TdF commentator on tele here) talk about rain jackets on yesterday's stage. I assumed that the pros had state-of-the-art jackets, not available to (or affordable by) we mere mortals... not true! They have exactly the same problems.

Basically, if it's waterproof then it'll not breath and you'll sweat like buggery? Yet the more breathable it is, the less waterproof it'll be. So it's a trade off. That's probably why so many riders don't wear a jacket unless it really is tipping down and/or it's cold. Sounds familiar doesn't it!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have tried waterproof, and end up just as wet, so now wear windproof and water repellent. You still get wet if the rain continues long enough, but you don't boil alive.

It's a bit different in winter........

OP
OP
B

bloominslow

Hello

Thanks for your advice. As im new to this forum and also cycling, im still not up to scratch on some of the topics. Also sorry to bore you with a topic that has been asked 100's of times, but hay now im aware to search before i ask.

This trade off of waterproof over breathable seems to be a recurring theme. I had no idea that even with a reasonably big price tag it was still not quite possible to get something that is waterproof and also not like wearing a sauna suit. That montane one looks pretty cool and might do the job. Think im gonna go for a size up than what i usually get so in the colder months i can but some more layers on underneath

cheers

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hello

Thanks for your advice. As im new to this forum and also cycling, im still not up to scratch on some of the topics. Also sorry to bore you with a topic that has been asked 100's of times, but hay now im aware to search before i ask.

This trade off of waterproof over breathable seems to be a recurring theme. I had no idea that even with a reasonably big price tag it was still not quite possible to get something that is waterproof and also not like wearing a sauna suit. That montane one looks pretty cool and might do the job. Think im gonna go for a size up than what i usually get so in the colder months i can but some more layers on underneath

cheers

Don't sweat about repeating question.... just try entering "helmet" and "triple" into the search box. Thousands of posts, almost as many different opinions, and absolutely no useful conclusions whatsoever!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
whistling.gif

Attachments

• rolleyes.gif
    rolleyes.gif
    673 bytes · Views: 18
OP
OP
B

bloominslow

Don't sweat about repeating question.... just try entering "helmet" and "triple" into the search box. Thousands of posts, almost as many different opinions, and absolutely no useful conclusions whatsoever!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
whistling.gif

Cheers! well i just nipped into TK Maxx today and got a craft jacket for £25. lets see how it holds up in the rain! cheers for the advice!

Attachments

• rolleyes.gif
    rolleyes.gif
    673 bytes · Views: 20

tjw_78

I'm a more experienced hiker than cyclist, but here's my tupence worth.

Although there is a compromise between being breathable and waterproof, it is also true that the more you spend, the better the return – there is some great technical kit out there if you have the money. My hiking jacket (Rab, Event) was very expensive, but is super light, and I've stay dry up on the mountains when hiking in some ridiculous rain storms over the years. So, it was worth every penny. I’ve also invested in a similar jacket for my wife, and she has cheered up no end in wet conditions! :thumbsup:

But on those walking trips, I'm sleeping a tent that night, so I want to stay comfortable. When I'm on the bike, I tend to be returning home at the end of the ride, where a hot bath/shower is available, and so I don't really care about getting wet, and so put on a very cheap splash top I've got (not yet invested in any cycling specific gear except shorts).

yello

Although there is a compromise between being breathable and waterproof, it is also true that the more you spend, the better the return

Agreed!

My hiking jacket (Rab, Event) was very expensive, but is super light, and I've stay dry up on the mountains when hiking in some ridiculous rain storms over the years. So, it was worth every penny.

I've heard nothing but good things of Event. I'd love to try it out for myself but spending £100 plus on a jacket is out of the question at the moment.

Atyl1972

received the Montane from merlin cycles today after ordering yesterday at 1pm, arrived this morning brilliant service and free 1st class recorded, anyways back to topic...the jacket is excellent, comes complete with a bag that the jacket wraps itself up in and an Velcro attachment to add to the saddle, and the jacket works great with no wind penetrating the jacket whatsoever, 100% happy with this jacket, and at £37, dunno why but its gone back up to £41 and it wasn't even on sale, may have been the discount that the store offers

tjw_78

I've heard nothing but good things of Event. I'd love to try it out for myself but spending £100 plus on a jacket is out of the question at the moment.

I've got waterproofs with eVent (Rab) and Gore (Sprayway) waterproofing, and I think that eVent has the edge. I find the Gore just a little less breathable. Both excellent though

Tynan

Veteran
received the Montane from merlin cycles today after ordering yesterday at 1pm, arrived this morning brilliant service and free 1st class recorded, anyways back to topic...the jacket is excellent, comes complete with a bag that the jacket wraps itself up in and an Velcro attachment to add to the saddle, and the jacket works great with no wind penetrating the jacket whatsoever, 100% happy with this jacket, and at £37, dunno why but its gone back up to £41 and it wasn't even on sale, may have been the discount that the store offers

so you haven't actually worn in rain?

What works brilliantly for hiking isn't going to translate to riding surely? the issue riding is the level of exertion, there's no problem making a jacker waterproof, the issue is making it waterpoof, comfortable and not making you die from overheating

Top Bottom