Jacket and/or Jersey for longish commutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Need a jacket and/or a jersey for my regular commute. 10 miles each way, 5 days a week. Been browsing the typical sites to see what's out there and there's a lot. Almost too much, a little overwhelming if I'm honest.

What I'd like, some sort of reflectivity and high-viz if possible. Waterproof, breathable and windproof, especially as it's getting pretty cold now.

From what I've seen so far, the closet that might match my wishlist is probably the Endura FS260-Pro SL Thermal Windproof Jacket. I've also seen the Endura FS260-Pro SL Shell Waterproof Jacket. They both come in hi-viz green. Also a bit pricy ~£125, but if they are very good jackets, then I can tolerate the cost. The major difference is the waterproofing and windproofing if I've read details correctly.

Any owenrs of ITK's with details about them, feedback welcome. Also alternative suggestions appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them on? The endura looks lighter and more race. The altura is more like a coat with pockets, and able to layer up underneath.
Bulky doesn't really matter for a 10 mile commute, which is what 45 mins or so?

The Alturas are excellent and often available on special (try on in Evans, get them to price match)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Need a jacket and/or a jersey for my regular commute. 10 miles each way, 5 days a week. Been browsing the typical sites to see what's out there and there's a lot. Almost too much, a little overwhelming if I'm honest.

What I'd like, some sort of reflectivity and high-viz if possible. Waterproof, breathable and windproof, especially as it's getting pretty cold now.

From what I've seen so far, the closet that might match my wishlist is probably the Endura FS260-Pro SL Thermal Windproof Jacket. I've also seen the Endura FS260-Pro SL Shell Waterproof Jacket. They both come in hi-viz green. Also a bit pricy ~£125, but if they are very good jackets, then I can tolerate the cost. The major difference is the waterproofing and windproofing if I've read details correctly.

Any owenrs of ITK's with details about them, feedback welcome. Also alternative suggestions appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Jackets are for rain.

What you need (to be warm and breathably comfy) is a gilet.

They come in hi viz, 360 reflection, wind proof, waterproof, full on goretex. Some (like one of mine) even have detachable sleeves, so they turn into a water proof jacket in a few seconds.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@Spiderweb was one I was considering, it appears a little bulky. How have you found it?
They are slightly more bulky than some jackets but it suits my needs.
I agree with everything vickster says, they are great for layering up in the cold and are excellent quality. Definitely worth looking at in my opinion.

vickster

Legendary Member
Jackets are for rain.

They come in hi viz, 360 reflection, wind proof, waterproof, full on goretex. Some (like one of mine) even have detachable sleeves, so they turn into a water proof jacket in a few seconds.
And what if it rains on his commute?
I rarely ride in the rain but in the winter on cold days the altura comes out. Probably not ideal for a 100k club run, perfect to keep warm on a 10 mile commute. I do run cold, I'm not warm enough with a couple of close fitting layers. I do use a gilet in Autumn and Spring but my arms get cold so need sleeves

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jackets are for rain.

I think there is an assumption there, that the op is riding something fast.

A gilet would be OK on my road bike but not suitable for my Koga World Traveller which I will ride through the winter.

As a base layer I use Helly Hansen gear as I get it cheap and it is good. I then have a fleece long sleeve jersey and an Aldi shell jacket. I have a polar buff round my neck and a HH headband for my ears. I carry arm warmers but don't always use them. I have a Berghaus packalite which is great if its a bit chilly or damp, or starts to rain.

I find the Aldi shell jackets are ideal for cold weather.

I don't think you can stay dry. But you can stay damp and warm.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's commuting in London from what I recall, unlikely to be hammering along at race pace, and stop start. Has a Genesis equilibrium I think

As a base layer I use Helly Hansen gear as I get it cheap and it is good.

I think their lifa range is the best you can get. Many years ago I Was a X-Country Skiing Instructor, often spending several days (and nights) in the Norwegian mountains, sometimes sleeping in snow holes. They may not be the warmest, but keep your skin bone dry - which is vital.

As far as an outer layer for commuting is concerned, my commute is approx 13 miles each way and I'm currently wearing an Endura Windchill II Jacket with a gilet over the top on the morning leg, which rolls up small into a back pocket on the Endura on the way home. I find this to be the best combination for late Autumn and earl Spring when there's often a considerable difference in temperature between the morning and evening commute legs.

If it rains, this combination affords some water resistance, but will allow water to soak through eventually. I don't worry about this on a 13 mile commute, as I'm not really out there long enough to really suffer.

Interestingly, we tend to think of the UK as a fairly wet place to live, but I've been commuting every day for the best part of two years and have probably only got very wet on my commute 4-5 times. Not enough to worry about going fully waterproof and boil in the bag.

In December-through-February I wear an Altura Evo Night Vision jacket which, as mentioned previously, is bulkier but warmer, and also has additional room in the cut for a lightweight fleece underneath on the really cold days.

Graham

gazza_d

My commute is 16 and a bit miles each way. About an hour 10-15 at this time, and I work so so generate some heat. I find a jacket can be too warm or thick so I prefer several layers which I can adjust
I use an Aldi merino base layer, then usually an Aldi long sleeve jersey on top. If the tempreture is in low single figures I add a short sleeve jersey between the two. I often carry the s/s jersey if I worry it may be colder than I think. My Aldi winter jersey has lots of reflective areas. That's what I need as at this time of year my commute is in low or zero light. Bright colours are hopeless in that.
I also carry a waterproof shell in case it starts chucking down. I also have some waterproof overshoes and sealskins gloves for the wet & Aldi gloves for dry & cold

That all seems to work quite well for me

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think we are just getting past the problem of what to put on in the mornings. Too much or too little. We are now moving into the "Not enough" phase.

I love my Gore phantom: windproof soft shell which keeps out most rain as well, the sleeves zip off which gives you a gilet on warmer days but also acts as pit zip ventilation. It Washes well and has a good amount of retro reflective.

It is a bit pricey these days, but, you may be able to track one down on special offer. Plenty of companies do something similar, I had an Aldi version without the zip off sleeves and it did the job for far less money, but lacked the quality; cut, finishing touches etc., which make the phantom such a nice thing to wear.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
And what if it rains on his commute?
I rarely ride in the rain but in the winter on cold days the altura comes out. Probably not ideal for a 100k club run, perfect to keep warm on a 10 mile commute. I do run cold, I'm not warm enough with a couple of close fitting layers. I do use a gilet in Autumn and Spring but my arms get cold so need sleeves
Zip the sleeves on.

Honestly it works a treat, the gilet keeps you warm but really unsweaty. when the rain comes, the sleeves keep you dry too.

failing that, take a fold-able goretex shower jacket.

Oh and if your arms get cold in a gilet, check out some arm warmers.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Gore Windstopper for me. I'm tight, so got mine used off eBay for about £30 in as new condition. It's a great year round jacket, this time of year I just layer up underneath it. My commute is 8 miles and takes 30 minutes.
When it rains it's either the BTwin waterproof, which for £20 is very waterproof but somewhat sweaty, or my latest eBay bargain of a brand new Endura Helium jacket.

Top Bottom