Jacket recommendations - super warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm after cycling jacket recommendations - I'm usually warm enough whilst riding, but when I get to work and begin skating, I cool down rapidly and want a warm jacket.

Important to me are small pack size and windproofness (if not waterproof), oh and style (race cut preferred). I would hope my lycra jacket and base layer would be enough under the jacket to keep me warm. Thus a "boil in the bag" jacket might well be perfect for me.

What's not important is price.

I find my Foska training jacket to be warm, it has a fleecy type lining in it apart from the sides under the arms. When I don't wear it I fold & roll it up and strap to the saddlebag. It's not particularly small, but not large either. Seems to resist the wind quite well. In a deluge, your other layers will get wet, but manages to resist water otherwise.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Touche said:
I find my Foska training jacket to be warm, it has a fleecy type lining in it apart from the sides under the arms. When I don't wear it I fold & roll it up and strap to the saddlebag. It's not particularly small, but not large either. Seems to resist the wind quite well. In a deluge, your other layers will get wet, but manages to resist water otherwise.

Thanks, yes I have a Foska bones and a pirate jersey. They are super warm when riding, but let way too much wind through for my purposes. They also pack too big.

SoulOnIce

I've got an Endura Event jacket. It is 100% waterproof and very breathable. Not really to be worn in mild weather as it can get too warm, so in the Autumn I use a lighter weight jacket.

But in the winter the Endura is lovely and warm with just a base layer and a thin fleece. It does not pack away really small - say the volume (not weight) of no more than two housebricks - but it is small enough t easily fit in my pannier with my other commuting stuff.

RRP is about £150 but you might pick one up for £120 if you shop around.

Worth looking at.

buddha

Veteran
Something with Gore Windstopper. My Gore jacket is too warm - so only gets used at 5degC or below.

Noodley

I was in LBS this morning and saw an Endura Stealth Softshell Waterproof jacket. It looked great and feels very toasty warm. But the pack size might be a bit large for what you are looking for.

I didn't try it on as the LBS had ordered it in for a clubmate but I had a good look at it - very nice quality, lovely soft feel both inside and out, race cut, good reflective areas without being overly so.

It has shot to the top of the list for next things for me to buy :tongue:

adscrim

Veteran
I read a review of the Foska Tangent jacket that stated the only complaint was that the jacket was too warm. I'm afraid I have no personal experience of it or knowledge of its pack size.

a_n_t

Noodley said:
I was in LBS this morning and saw an Endura Stealth Softshell Waterproof jacket. It looked great and feels very toasty warm.
<<<<<<<<<thats one there :biggrin:

Best £135 I've ever spent, ridiculously warm jacket, over 10'c and I'm cooking! Superbly wind and waterproof too.

Russdee

I have an ASSOSS 851 Jacket. Had this for the last two winters and find it great. Keeps me nice and warm in all wheathers.

Tend to just wear a long sleave base layer underneath even on the coldest days (I do feel the cold normally) and never have been cold out on the bike, even for 4 hour plus training rides.

Super cut and great fit; sleaves niece and long. If you do get one, do not wash it too hot!

Cheers

Russdee

Top Bottom