Jailbroken iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Finally taken the plunge and I unlocked my iPhone yesterday (and 4 more today for friends) :biggrin:

Can anyone suggest any good cydia cycle related themes or apps??

Young Un

Nope
But i do know that my mate is a tit - he got the blackberry storm(which i hate) and then got the ipod touch!!! - why didn't he just get the iphone:ohmy: - silly boy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well I'd not mess with an I-phone if under warranty - my bro has been through three of the new ones in about 5-6 months - he likes the technology, but they break......

Carwash

Señor Member
What are the advantages of jailbreaking iPhones nowadays? I mean, you can get (often free) apps of the app-store, as I understand it. What more does a jailbroken iPhone do?

(Can you get it to play Vorbis files?! If so I might be tempted!)

Carwash

Señor Member
Maz said:
What does jailbroken mean? Unlocked?

More than that. 'Unlocked' normally just means that the phone is no longer restricted to a prescribed network. 'Jailbroken' means that you have control over the iPhone's internals - more so than Apple normally allows. So you can fiddle with it, install your own software, themes, etc etc.

Thank you Carwash - I am another of the great confused of this planet with only a 'my phone' to think about. What's the default setting then - 'locked' 'put down'...?

'Wos yours then?'
"Got a banged up i phone innit - gonna tuck up a jailbreak when I got the dosh...":wacko:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've got a great mobile phone, it's got lots of buttons and if I push the right ones I get to talk to people... how fantastic is that?

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
I've got a great mobile phone, it's got lots of buttons and if I push the right ones I get to talk to people... how fantastic is that?

I got one of them as well. They'll maybe catch on eventually.

Manonabike

Über Member
Carwash said:
More than that. 'Unlocked' normally just means that the phone is no longer restricted to a prescribed network. 'Jailbroken' means that you have control over the iPhone's internals - more so than Apple normally allows. So you can fiddle with it, install your own software, themes, etc etc.

Actually, Jailbroken is easier to achieve that unblocking an iPhone. Whenever Apple releases a new firmware, the Jailbrake is always available before the unblocking software.

With Jailbrake, as Carwash said, one can modify the iPhone but is not allowed to use any network, however, the iphone could work with any contract or PAYG SIM card from the network that sells the iPhone, in the UK that is O2.

Unlocked iPhones can be modified as well as work with any sim card, including from other countries.

I Jailbroke my iPhone when it was a lot harder than today. the version was 1.1.1 and I had to wait a couple of months before somebody found the way to unlock it. The iPhone as a phone is not quite there yet but as a phone + MP3 + MP4 + game station + internet station + etc, etc, etc, it is absolutely brilliant.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User76 said:
I have a similar one, but I can play games on it. Well one game, it's a very good game. What happens is, the other person says something to you, and you have to guess what the bloody hell they have said, because the reception around here is shit:angry:
:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Carwash said:
Isn't this on of Mr.Job's software philosophies? That of open source code etc? Or is that taken the meaning too far?

Top Bottom