Jay Walking (time for U.S laws ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No traffic would ever move on our local main street! As it is, there are pelican crossings every hundred yards or so, yet people are too lazy to use them. They just wander across randomly with their children in tow, growling at any car driver who might have the audacity to point out the provision of crossings.

So pedestrians have to take big detours to avoid inconveniencing motorists? Oh, sorry, I forgot pedestrians are bottom of the hierarchy and should bow to the superior motorist and slightly superior cyclists. Also those bloody cyclists should stay on the effin' cycle lanes, paid for out of road tax I might add. And give way to the superior car for every driveway and side-road.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My daughter spent one of her Uni years in Germany and there they have rigid adherence to the traffic signals. She remarked how strange it was when she was retuning to her flat in the early hours of the morning and her friends would all stop at the pedestrian crossing, waiting for it to turn green, even though there was no traffic in sight for miles!

I hear that it is very much the same in Japan.

I thought the Jay Walking thing applied only to Berlin, but haven't really investigated further.

Brandane

Legendary Member
People are regularly convicted and punished for all the above. Of course, some people get away with it, as they do for murder and theft. That's not to say there's no law, nor is it "not enforced".
I know. It used to be my job to enforce it! Thanks to financial restraints and cutbacks though, law enforcers are down in number despite the statistics they try and fool us with.
Yes, some people are unlucky and get caught, but they are the very tip of a huge iceberg.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Way back in the late '70s [1970s, I should add ...:boxing:], Singapore brought in just such a law in the main city area - the Central Business District.

To make it workable, they did a few things first:
  • built overhead pedestrian bridges
  • built under-road pedestrian tunnels
  • ensured these bridges/tunnels were no greater than 100m apart, so a ped was never further than 50m from a safe crossing
  • ensured safety barriers were located in places where peds might be 'squeezed' onto the road
  • improved pedestrian crossing at major road junctions
  • tasked great numbers of Police to patrol, ticket (S$20) and 'counsel' errant peds
The result was a massive boost to the government coffers the first month, much less the second, still less the third, then they stopped being so concerned as the peds had 'got the message'.

Overall, it seemed** to improve both the pedestrian safety and traffic flow. The key was having enough 'Enforcers' to ensure people got the message and stayed 'on message'. It was never an inconvenience when I lived in S'pore for a couple of years.

**I should point out that this law was brought in shortly before I moved there but I was working with Singaporeans who were keeping up to date on how it was going. :thumbsup: Singapore was also a very 'pliant' society back then... ;)

PK99

Legendary Member
No traffic would ever move on our local main street! As it is, there are pelican crossings every hundred yards or so, yet people are too lazy to use them. They just wander across randomly with their children in tow, growling at any car driver who might have the audacity to point out the provision of crossings.

no cars would move in london and no pedestrians would cross the street because of the non stop non stopping succession of cyclists..

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@Profpointy

I agree with your hierarchy statement & enjoyed your Edit too.

Presumed Liability though ?

Would you like to have to prove in court that Johhny A or whoever wasn't completely responsible for their untimely demise ?

Think of the grief it would cause you generally.

Not a slur, just different perception i suppose & thanks for your comments.

As for Britain.... Why do they keep bringing in new laws which are entirely meaningless when it seems that no-one is enforcing either the new or existing laws?
I believe it is illegal to:
Drop litter.
Allow your dog to crap on the pavement.
Shout and swear in public.
Park illegally.
Exceed the speed limit.
Use your phone while driving.
Etc. etc..

Whilst I actually fully agree with your point...

Dog crapping on the pavement needs a local council by law enforced by local officers
Home Office won't record a crime for shouting and swearing in public unless someone who isn't a police officer can be said to have been bothered by it.
Illegal parking if not in dangerous position is decriminalised and down to parking wardens now
ACPO state they don't prosecute for breaking the 20 mph speed limits (obviously within reason of the said speed - but you don't get done for doing 30!)

So why not add a few more laws for everyone to ignore!

Brandane

Legendary Member
So pedestrians have to take big detours to avoid inconveniencing motorists? Oh, sorry, I forgot pedestrians are bottom of the hierarchy and should bow to the superior motorist and slightly superior cyclists. Also those bloody cyclists should stay on the effin' cycle lanes, paid for out of road tax I might add. And give way to the superior car for every driveway and side-road.
Here's an idea. All road users share the roads in a safe manner. This might mean that some have to make sacrifices to ensure traffic flow (both pedestrian and vehicular traffic). Vehicles have to stop at designated crossings which are provided at regular intervals to avoid pedestrians having to make "big detours". The sacrifice pedestrians have to make is not walking in front of a moving lump of metal. Either use a crossing, or wait until the road is clear!

Sara_H

Guru
When I'm prime minister (or queen, whichever comes first) private vehicles won't be allowed to drive through such busy urban areas.
Active and sustainable transport will be prioritised and pedestrians will always have priority over private vehicles.

Top Bottom