Jay Walking (time for U.S laws ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

No traffic would ever move on our local main street! As it is, there are pelican crossings every hundred yards or so, yet people are too lazy to use them. They just wander across randomly with their children in tow, growling at any car driver who might have the audacity to point out the provision of crossings.
No cyclists or pedestrians are able to safely cross the main road! As it is, there are pelican crossings every hundred yards orso, yet motorists are too stupid to stop at them. They just blast through with their selfishness in tow, beeping at any adult or child who might have the audacity to try and cross the road where it is their legal right to do so.

Brandane

Legendary Member
When I'm prime minister (or queen, whichever comes first) private vehicles won't be allowed to drive through such busy urban areas.
Active and sustainable transport will be prioritised and pedestrians will always have priority over private vehicles.
Your gonna have to build an A78 trunk road by-pass around Largs then. Good luck with that, as it's bordered on one side by the sea, and on the other by a steep hill!

Sara_H

Guru
Your gonna have to build an A78 trunk road by-pass around Largs then. Good luck with that, as it's bordered on one side by the sea, and on the other by a steep hill!
I don't k ow the area of which you speak, but I'm sure there'll be a solution.
It may not involve building a big road. It may involve people having to start thinking differently about how and where they live and work.
When I'm in charge mist people will be working close to where they live so that they can walk and ride. They'll do their shopping and leisure activities locally.
I'm going to be turning around the culture that we can live a hundred miles away from where we work. It's no longer sustainable.

I don't k ow the area of which you speak, but I'm sure there'll be a solution.
It may not involve building a big road. It may involve people having to start thinking differently about how and where they live and work.
When I'm in charge mist people will be working close to where they live so that they can walk and ride. They'll do their shopping and leisure activities locally.
I'm going to be turning around the culture that we can live a hundred miles away from where we work. It's no longer sustainable.
..and where exactly are you going to put the houses for the 3m who travel daily into London?

...and please don;t tell me then can all work remotely

U

User482

..and where exactly are you going to put the houses for the 3m who travel daily into London?

Most people don't commute into London by private car though.

Most people don't commute into London by private car though.
Never said that, just asking about the post of getting people to live where they work.

Although, not sure if you live in London, but the whole transport system is grinding to halt due to excessive singe occupancy non-commercial cars, so it is a HUGE problem.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My daughter spent one of her Uni years in Germany and there they have rigid adherence to the traffic signals. She remarked how strange it was when she was retuning to her flat in the early hours of the morning and her friends would all stop at the pedestrian crossing, waiting for it to turn green, even though there was no traffic in sight for miles!
My sis came out of a restaurant with friends in Sweden once at one in the morning in a no-horse town in the backend of nowhere. The silence was profound. All Swedes apparently are tucked up in bed with their Swede-cocoa by 10. Not a soul in sight, probably not a car moving within 10 miles. But when they came to a pedestrian crossing, with the lights against them, everyone stopped at the kerb and waited for the lights to change...

U

User482

Never said that, just asking about the post of getting people to live where they work.

Although, not sure if you live in London, but the whole transport system is grinding to halt due to excessive singe occupancy non-commercial cars, so it is a HUGE problem.

I don't think there's a single silver bullet. A quick google suggest about 1/3 of people commute into London by private car, which - to take your 3 million figure - means that we're already shifting 2 million people by other means. It's quite impressive when you think about it.

I don't think there's a single silver bullet. A quick google suggest about 1/3 of people commute into London by private car, which - to take your 3 million figure - means that we're already shifting 2 million people by other means. It's quite impressive when you think about it.
Again, not sure about your experience in London but it is incredible. People complain about the tube yet on the central line (my line) one arrives every 2-3 minutes rush hour each holding around 900 people. Buses galore, cyclists everywhere. The only bit that doesn't work are the roads. Scrap the single occuapncy cars and it would be a dream for commerical vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians too.

My only issue is that it does appear to be at capacity so with population increase something does need to give.

The least sutainable, most selfish and greatest danger are cars and we could easily do away with them in central London.

Sara_H

Guru

No, people will be living close to where they work.
Most transport will be by bike or public transport which will be cheap and convenient.

No, people will be living close to where they work.
Most transport will be by bike or public transport which will be cheap and convenient.
Again, how would that work wit h he 3 million coming in London. That would be a 30% increase in population and nowhere to build housing or infrastructure for them?

Sara_H

Guru
Again, how would that work wit h he 3 million coming in London. That would be a 30% increase in population and nowhere to build housing or infrastructure for them?
Or would it? With a shift to more local living and away from centralisation of services, more jobs would become available locally.
We have become a Nation dependant on being able to travel long distances every day to travel to work, which I a day like today means that everything grinds to a halt and caused chaos.
It's not sustainable, the culture will change when I'm the boss.

So the idea is that a company in central London would have to operate 4 local offices rather than one central one and would be good for business?

Top Bottom