Jay Walking (time for U.S laws ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
That's true of course, but I bet you know people who've taken a job further from home, and then start complaining about the commute.

Spouses job, kids schools, no affordability of houses in the new location all make moving closer to new job sometimes just not possible.

U

User482

Spouses job, kids schools, no affordability of houses in the new location all make moving closer to new job sometimes just not possible.

I would argue that it's rarely not possible, and more often due to priorities.

perplexed

Guru
No, people will be living close to where they work.
Most transport will be by bike or public transport which will be cheap and convenient.

I bloody well won't. The area where I work is not somewhere I'd ever chose to live. :angry: I can't be the only one with this issue.

Not only that, what about other household member's workplace? We work in varying directions, some distance apart.

Also it depends on what you do. Some jobs, you really don't want to be living in the area you work in. In an ideal world, yes, we wouldn't have huge commutes, but the variables are so numerous a single, sweeping policy is unworkable.

Sara_H

Guru
I bloody well won't. The area where I work is not somewhere I'd ever chose to live. :angry: I can't be the only one with this issue.

Not only that, what about other household member's workplace? We work in varying directions, some distance apart.

Also it depends on what you do. Some jobs, you really don't want to be living in the area you work in. In an ideal world, yes, we wouldn't have huge commutes, but the variables are so numerous a single, sweeping policy is unworkable.
This is all part of the culture that needs to change.
We make choices based on the fact that we can easily drive a hundred miles in any direction from where we live, but these choices gave had a massive impact on how we live and work.
These choices weren't available sixty years ago, and people got by. Some changes will have been positive, others not.

PK99

Legendary Member

My Daughter is working and living in Luton for a placement year, there is no way she would live anywhere near the Vauxhall plant if there permanently, and even where she is in Luton the only viable commuting option is by car.

perplexed

Guru
This is all part of the culture that needs to change.
We make choices based on the fact that we can easily drive a hundred miles in any direction from where we live, but these choices gave had a massive impact on how we live and work.
These choices weren't available sixty years ago, and people got by. Some changes will have been positive, others not.

My commute is modest. But you still haven't addressed the hard reality of life and the problems your proposals bring. You may want it, but you need to address all the issues. Saying there's a requirement for a culture change doesn't sort the problems.

How are you going to resolve the issues I raised?

Sara_H

Guru
My commute is modest. But you still haven't addressed the hard reality of life and the problems your proposals bring. You may want it, but you need to address all the issues. Saying there's a requirement for a culture change doesn't sort the problems.

How are you going to resolve the issues I raised?
To be honest I'm quite snoozy at the minute and can't be bothered.
All I'm saying is that we've gone from a position fifty / sixty years ago where people worked and lived locally, to a situation where that has been made difficult to do.
I'd like to see this situation reverse, an expectation that long commutes aren't normal, shopping and leisure facilities be accessible by walking, cycling and good public transport.
However we got into the current situation, we need to reverse it, because masses of people moving long distances by car every day us not really very good for anyone.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Again, not sure about your experience in London but it is incredible. People complain about the tube yet on the central line (my line) one arrives every 2-3 minutes rush hour each holding around 900 people. Buses galore, cyclists everywhere. The only bit that doesn't work are the roads. Scrap the single occuapncy cars and it would be a dream for commerical vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians too.

My only issue is that it does appear to be at capacity so with population increase something does need to give.

The least sutainable, most selfish and greatest danger are cars and we could easily do away with them in central London.
I remember when Ken Livingstone - for yes, it was he, the genuinely visionary, genuinely London London mayor, and not the faux-buffoon Boris 'Benito' Johnson - first introduced the congestion charge, it reduced traffic on London's roads by something like 20% overnight.

It has of course crept back up, as people have become inured, but there's absolutely nothing to stop another genuinely visionary mayor (such as Ken Livingstone, who also, let's also not forget, introduced the so-called Boris bikes) from, say, doubling the charge, which would provide a healthy new revenue stream, along with providing the 'something' that needs to give.

Or, with a bit more political cojones, it would be relatively easy to use London's Stasi-like network of cctv cameras to empower even quite a complex system of exemptions (or the opposite). Eg, zero charges for full occupancy/double charges for single occupancy; exemptions for registered disabled, key social workers, midwives, organ couriers; quadruple charges for Chelsea Tractors and 10x charges for any car with an engine of over 3 litres, and/or whose original purchase price exceeded £100,000...oh yes, a visionary mayor could do quite a lot of good with the CC in one hand and cctv in t'other.

U

User482

My Daughter is working and living in Luton for a placement year, there is no way she would live anywhere near the Vauxhall plant if there permanently, and even where she is in Luton the only viable commuting option is by car.

The car plant is less than 2 miles from the town centre. As I said, priorities.

I remember when Ken Livingstone - for yes, it was he, the genuinely visionary, genuinely London London mayor, and not the faux-buffoon Boris 'Benito' Johnson - first introduced the congestion charge, it reduced traffic on London's roads by something like 20% overnight.

It has of course crept back up, as people have become inured, but there's absolutely nothing to stop another genuinely visionary mayor (such as Ken Livingstone, who also, let's also not forget, introduced the so-called Boris bikes) from, say, doubling the charge, which would provide a healthy new revenue stream, along with providing the 'something' that needs to give.

Or, with a bit more political cojones, it would be relatively easy to use London's Stasi-like network of cctv cameras to empower even quite a complex system of exemptions (or the opposite). Eg, zero charges for full occupancy/double charges for single occupancy; exemptions for registered disabled, key social workers, midwives, organ couriers; quadruple charges for Chelsea Tractors and 10x charges for any car with an engine of over 3 litres, and/or whose original purchase price exceeded £100,000...oh yes, a visionary mayor could do quite a lot of good with the CC in one hand and cctv in t'other.
Actually what I'd love to see is a £20 charge for each empty seat in a car. Full car (5 people) is free, single occupancy is £80. Never enforceable as people would just buy dummies!

PK99

Legendary Member
The car plant is less than 2 miles from the town centre. As I said, priorities.

so is is smartass, but the after sales warehouse is 6 miles from the center with a public transport journey time from shared house of around 1 hr 30 including 30 minutes walk across luton with a start time of 7-30 am. I would be afraid to walk the route at any time let alone a 21 year old in the dark on a winter morning - Luton is a pretty rough place.

Top Bottom