Jay Walking (time for U.S laws ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

so is is smartass, but the after sales warehouse is 6 miles from the center with a public transport journey time from shared house of around 1 hr 30 including 30 minutes walk across luton with a start time of 7-30 am. I would be afraid to walk the route at any time let alone a 21 year old in the dark on a winter morning - Luton is a pretty rough place.

1) 4.5 miles, according to Google.

2) There was me thinking this is a cycling forum.

3) Priorities.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Here's an idea. All road users share the roads in a safe manner. This might mean that some have to make sacrifices to ensure traffic flow (both pedestrian and vehicular traffic). Vehicles have to stop at designated crossings which are provided at regular intervals to avoid pedestrians having to make "big detours". The sacrifice pedestrians have to make is not walking in front of a moving lump of metal. Either use a crossing, or wait until the road is clear!
Why should it be the pedestrians who have to stop and wait for the moving lumps of metal and not the moving lumps of metal that have to stop and wait for the pedestrians? Pedestrians don't typically have to stop and wait for each other in places where there are no moving lumps of metal, so given that the moving lumps of metal seem to be causing the problem they should be the ones that suffer its consequences.

If I want to run through a shopping mall carrying a ladder the onus is on me to avoid hitting anyone, not on them to dive out of the way

mustang1

Legendary Member
If they don't want us to jaywalk, just put fences up on the border between the footpath and road, and have slots in the fence at the places people can cross.

To avoid people climbing over the fences, make them quite tall. In fact, we could have tunnels. Whole we're at it, might as well get pedestrians to apply for a walking license, registration numbers, and walking-insurance in case you get tripped over by enever pavement blocks.

The lighthearted bit: just have conveyor belts to ferry people around like at some airport terminals. Then people don't even have tobwalk. They can just stand still and continue looking downwards and use their mobile phones and other music players.

Damn it why can't I be lighthearted about by this stuff. I gotta loosen up. Imbgoing for a (jay)walk.

Edit: corrected typo

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm with @Sara_H on this one. The mind set is the jobs are in the city, we have to get people into the city.
Is foreign secretary still available?

my wifes last proper job (she now contracts and cycle commutes) was in a big office block in the Surrey countryside 10 miles south of here. 40 mins by car, minimum 90 minutes by public transport.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
my wifes last proper job (she now contracts and cycle commutes) was in a big office block in the Surrey countryside 10 miles south of here. 40 mins by car, minimum 90 minutes by public transport.

I think you're missing the point a bit. It's not (entirely) about your choice as an individual, but the fact that the whole "system" is structured so it's somewhat harder to use non-car methods to get to work. Whether that's because there's no practical public transport to where a big employer sets up, or because it's in a "rough" area so people are reluctant to cycle. As others upthread have said, things weren't always like this. Housing and work were built relatively near each other, as were shops and what not. We didn't have to travel silly distances to work, or to the shops. There is of course, also a choice element for the individual. As I've admitted, I'm likely going to have long commutes having for 4 or 5 years enjoyed an easily cyclable journey - but that's ultimately a choice of a more interesting and better paid job versus a less thrilling job locally.

U

User482

ride with gps shows road or cycling routes as 5.5-6 miles from where she lives.

A very big priority is safe transport for a lone female at 6:30 am
Her choice to work and live where she does.

I think you're missing the point a bit. It's not (entirely) about your choice as an individual, but the fact that the whole "system" is structured so it's somewhat harder to use non-car methods to get to work. Whether that's because there's no practical public transport to where a big employer sets up, or because it's in a "rough" area so people are reluctant to cycle. As others upthread have said, things weren't always like this. Housing and work were built relatively near each other, as were shops and what not. We didn't have to travel silly distances to work, or to the shops. There is of course, also a choice element for the individual. As I've admitted, I'm likely going to have long commutes having for 4 or 5 years enjoyed an easily cyclable journey - but that's ultimately a choice of a more interesting and better paid job versus a less thrilling job locally.
A lot has happened since then, including a large increase in population, globalisation, switching from manufacturing to service and financial industries. What we have may not be a choice but it's hard to see how it could have adapted to the changing world any other way.

PK99

Legendary Member

No, I'm not missing the point I'm using specific examples to illustrate the wider general point.

Back in the day when folks worked at't'mill or at't'Motors (as in Leyland motors) large industrial workforces were housed close to the workplace and lived and worked there for the whole of their working lives- middle class managers tended not to live 'over the shop' and drove into work from nearby towns . It is a whole different world now and harking back to times gone by is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Sara_H

Guru
No, I'm not missing the point I'm using specific examples to illustrate the wider general point.

Back in the day when folks worked at't'mill or at't'Motors (as in Leyland motors) large industrial workforces were housed close to the workplace and lived and worked there for the whole of their working lives- middle class managers tended not to live 'over the shop' and drove into work from nearby towns . It is a whole different world now and harking back to times gone by is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Not necessarily. In places such as Copenhagen and the Netherlands, people tend to have shorter commutes, and use leisure facilities available to then locally.
If the infrastructure is in place to allow it people will live and work locally.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not necessarily. In places such as Copenhagen and the Netherlands, people tend to have shorter commutes, and use leisure facilities available to then locally.
If the infrastructure is in place to allow it people will live and work locally.

The vast majority of Londoners, and people outside London commuting into town don't use their cars for their daily commute.

Top Bottom