Jay Walking (time for U.S laws ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
@Sara_H we could just make cities like Center Parcs, big car parks on the outskirts with free bike rental for everyone to cycle into the centre...

...I am being flippant but that actually sounds like not a bad idea...

EDIT: would also increase exercise which addresses the health timebomb - where's my pen...

Sara_H

Guru
@Sara_H we could just make cities like Center Parcs, big car parks on the outskirts with free bike rental for everyone to cycle into the centre...

...I am being flippant but that actually sounds like not a bad idea...
You can be my deputy prime minister.

Sara_H

Guru
So
so is is smartass, but the after sales warehouse is 6 miles from the center with a public transport journey time from shared house of around 1 hr 30 including 30 minutes walk across luton with a start time of 7-30 am. I would be afraid to walk the route at any time let alone a 21 year old in the dark on a winter morning - Luton is a pretty rough place.
So how would someone who can't drive manage the journey?

PK99

Legendary Member
To be honest I'm quite snoozy at the minute and can't be bothered.
All I'm saying is that we've gone from a position fifty / sixty years ago where people worked and lived locally, to a situation where that has been made difficult to do.
I'd like to see this situation reverse, an expectation that long commutes aren't normal, shopping and leisure facilities be accessible by walking, cycling and good public transport.
However we got into the current situation, we need to reverse it, because masses of people moving long distances by car every day us not really very good for anyone.

Which translates as "My cloud cuckoo land fantasy is just that, a fantasy"

Sara_H

Guru
Which translates as "My cloud cuckoo land fantasy is just that, a fantasy"

I'm guessing I'm not getting your vote in the upcoming election then.
Ho hum, let's just carry on as we are choking up the planet and killing each other with deadly fumes. Paying tax through the nose to repair the broken roads and creaking NHS.

Ansome

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
The thread is now being debated by the Town Planning Commission, :biggrin:
(no matter).

I take the general consensus that the vast majority would be against Jay Walking laws/fines etc.

What I have garnered from many of the responses & the slight deviations is that the British road/towns/city planning & infrastructure makes safe walking or road crossing more difficult, mainly by lack of the number of safe crossing points for example.

It would be great if all the above could be restructured to offer a safe environment for all users but this would involve a bottomless pit of money, time, expertise & huge upheaval & everyone knows now that there isn't any money.

It would seem then that the battle for road space between all will rage on & on.

For me, this can only mean that all users need to be respectful of others & live/travel with common sense, which is the downfall, how do you teach or instil common sense into those who don't want or can't comprehend it.

Sara_H

Guru
at least one of them gets a lift from my daughter
Six miles really should be easy by bike or public transport though, shouldn't it?
That's the problem. Journeys that should be manageable without a car aren't anymore.
We have similar problems on a Sunday. My sons home football ground is five miles away. The roads leading to it are far too dangerous to cycle, public transport means about an hour and a half into the city centre and then back out again, with a long cold drafty wait at each stage.
We rely on borrowing a car or getting a lift. Load of rubbish really.

Ansome

For me, this can only mean that all users need to be respectful of others & live/travel with common sense, which is the downfall, how do you teach or instil common sense into those who don't want or can't comprehend it.

Yes, you can't 'instil' everything in everyone, so if you are one of those who understands that then you must do your best not to harm anyone who can't.

Top Bottom