Jazz's Start From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jazz

Regular
Now then everyone!

I've had a read through Andy's newbie thread, some interesting & helpful stuff there so cheers Andy.

So far, from advice from a bike enthusiast at work (buys Orange bikes and improves them blah blah) I have learned some stuff, and he told me to go to the bike shop in the next town over. The bloke there was really canny and showed me for £500 I could get a Scott Aspect 30 - with lockout and disc brakes. He said that would do me for commuting and for the coast to coast.

~~For those that didn't see the intro thread, I am jumping straight in and want to do coast to coast~~

I really just want to ask what people think of that bike, I am fairly sure I will be getting it once I sell my car. I would also like to know what half decent equipment I could get - gloves, helmet, padded shorts etc.

I really love my music so I would HAVE to have an MP3 player, and whatever would strap it to my arm and what not.

So yeah:

1. What do you think of the Scott Aspect 30?
2. What Helmets/gloves/padded shorts and other equipment would you recommend for coast to coast (as well as general commuting)?
3. What other stuff would you have in your bag for such a journey.

And just to let you all know I am not one for taking up hobbies and not bothering after a few attempts. I will be doing this for real, I needed an excuse to train and now I have one.

Cheers in advance!

Jazz

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The Scott looks aimed at offroad/trails mostly with wide tyres, front suspension and relatively low gear ratios given 26" wheel. Something like Specialized Crosstrail/Giant Roam might be a little bit more allround if you have at look at them online or Specialized Sirrus/Giant Rapid if almost exclusively riding on roads (or whatever the Scott equivilents are). Depends really what you plan to be riding on and I know nothing about the coast to coast :smile:

Having repair stuff in your bag and knowing how to use it (practice at home in the warm and dry) is probably the most important thing. :smile:

Edit: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-30-solution-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030913#features I quite like the look of that at a glance :smile:

Hi jazz,

Re "I really love my music so I would HAVE to have an MP3 player, and whatever would strap it to my arm and what not."

If you really want to use this while doing any riding with or around traffic, peds or other cyclists, personally I would advise the headphones that hook over your ear with the ear bud held slightly off your ear so that you can still hear what's happening around you. Like these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00007EDM8/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550932549&ref=asc_df_B00007EDM8)

I use these and have never been caught out as you are still able to hear what's happening as well as your music.
One time when mine died I used my iPod buds and twice in one journey nearly cacked myself when a vehicle I ain't heard came past me. Never used them since.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Jamie - Cheers for that, I'll have a go at practicing in the garage, what type of stuff is best to keep in the repair bag?
The lad at the bike shop said that the Scott Aspect 30 was good for me as it would do me for biking to work, but I'd also be able to go through the woods and stuff like that. He said with the other bikes (I'm assuming hybrid and road bikes) that they couldn't be used in the woods etc. so that one was best suited. What are your thoughts on that? I'm just trying to get all the right info before I go on the spending spree!! :smile:

Tony - Cheers for that mate, I didn't think about listening to traffic. I suppose it's a bigger concern on a bike than in a car with the music blasting! I have some skull candy ones that are similar, although awful sound quality. Might invest in those Sony ones like! can you recommend an MP3 player and the kit that attaches it somewhere easy to operate?

defy-one

Dude - you need to tell us where the majority of your riding will be.

Rough tracks/woods/off road - then get a proper mountai bike.

Canal tow paths, across the park and grass etc- get a decent hybrid with 700 wheels and 32-35 tyres. That will cover all the above and be great on roads for your coast to coast.

Too many people (me included) buy a mountain bike and regret it after.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Whey I'll be commuting the 11 miles to work as well as coast to coast. I may want to occasionally go over to a forest and do that type of stuff - I suppose we can forget about that for now though!!

Cheers bud. Are you using a mountain bike for the roads like?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If you do get the Scott, invest in a set of slick tyres that you can swap over for when you're on road instead of the knobblies that are already on it. That will give you lower rolling resistance and better handling

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Well I was told today by a mate (I didn't know how much he was into cycling until today) that I should hold off on the Scott, and he says if I get him a budget he will find me a top notch used bike, then I can spend a few quid on cassettes, brakes, blah blah if needed. He reckons I will get more for my money rather than buying new.

So I'll take my time like, but if he's willing to get me a cracking bike for cheap then I can't say no eh!! :biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just make sure he doesn't nick it ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well I was told today by a mate (I didn't know how much he was into cycling until today) that I should hold off on the Scott, and he says if I get him a budget he will find me a top notch used bike, then I can spend a few quid on cassettes, brakes, blah blah if needed. He reckons I will get more for my money rather than buying new.

So I'll take my time like, but if he's willing to get me a cracking bike for cheap then I can't say no eh!! :biggrin:
Sounds good to me , the scott is more of an offf road bike and sounds like the LBS was pandering to the normal percieved image of what most people think is a cool bike rather than what is more practical for commuting on roads .
If your mate knows his stuff you could even do C2C on the used bike dependant on what sort of loads you plan to carry .

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Aye the plan is to use the bike for C2C like as well as my commute.

How much does it cost to sort one of those mile counters out?

Top Bottom