JCB and Hydrogen engines, a significant investment announcement today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very few places currently have the existing infrastructure required for the required roll out of EV's, never mind the generating capacity from green sources.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-200252.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-200252.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh aye, that'll do it.

But they don't park on the tenth floor or whatever.
It's easier to put some charging in than it is make a hydrogen station.

Ignoring the issues in getting that many charging points for the high rise, or cables across pavements, or additional street furniture for charge points, of course every house has a petrol station at the minute. :laugh:

If your argument is infrastructure, replacing hydrogen for petrol is easier than rewiring the UK and upping the power generation capacity, but that assumes you can make either fuel in a way that creates gasses with a lower global warming percentage than the current ones. Carbon capture is still unproven at any meaningful level.

Drago

Legendary Member
Also add everyone that can charge at home. Start every day with a 'full tank'.
You can't do that with Hydrogen.
To be fair you can't with petrol or diesel, but its not a problem when it only takes a minute or so to tank up. When it takes 6 hours its a bit more of a ballache.

Going off topic from hydrogen here, but Mrs D always charges her car at home. She reckons a good third or half of the public charging points shes come across either arent working or have an ICE car blocking them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Let’s not forget that at point of use the hydrogen-burning reciprocating engine will still put out emissions. No CO2 (yay!) but there will still be NOx and particulates. And that engine still needs regularly-changed lubricating oil.

dodgy

Absolutely, no problem charging in a high rise, or a terraced house, even if they could get the infra-structure in place to get the power there. :okay:
Sounds like a cycling endorsement thread "how will I transport my fridges!!!1111??"
Still better if people who can, do.

Sounds like a cycling endorsement thread "how will I transport my fridges!!!1111??"

That's partially true, however it's easy to view these 'solutions' in a very narrow context, without considering the full implications. It runs the risk of simply changing one problem for another, rather than a proper strategic approach. It's also worth wondering about which 'pollutants' are being focused on, and which are being minimised.

It's no coincidence which companies are funding the COP event.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've taken seven to the recycling centre, for people who were unable to fit them in their cars. Collected a washer from the shop having dropped the old one off first.

It's doable though.

gzoom

Über Member
Hydrogen is an ideal replacement for heavy industry which often operate in extreme conditions and in remote locations. It's good to see some sensible investment in this area.

£100million really is a tiny amount of 'investment' in the world of renewable energy development. If JCB is serious about hydrogen that figure needs to be x10 that value, and that's before series production can even be dreamt about.

https://thedriven.io/2021/09/07/tes...on-into-ev-battery-plant-next-to-giga-berlin/

Even Toyota is now finally putting their efforts into battery technology after throwing billions away in hydrogen development.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/8/22662236/toyota-battery-investment-electric-cars-hybrids-2030

The current energy costs show just how dependent the world is on hydrocarbon fules. Hydrogen doesn't/cannot move us away from that. The only real way fowards is finding a way to smooth out renewable power generation. Energy storage is needed, but with such awful efficiency, using electricity to make hydrogen than turning it back into electricity is madness on so many levels.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
£100million really is a tiny amount of 'investment' in the world of renewable energy development. If JCB is serious about hydrogen that figure needs to be x10 that value, and that's before series production can even be dreamt about.

https://thedriven.io/2021/09/07/tes...on-into-ev-battery-plant-next-to-giga-berlin/

Even Toyota is now finally putting their efforts into battery technology after throwing billions away in hydrogen development.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/8/22662236/toyota-battery-investment-electric-cars-hybrids-2030

The current energy costs show just how dependent the world is on hydrocarbon fules. Hydrogen doesn't/cannot move us away from that. The only real way fowards is finding a way to smooth out renewable power generation. Energy storage is needed, but with such awful efficiency, using electricity to make hydrogen than turning it back into electricity is madness on so many levels.
Yes understood, but JCB are investing in it for heavy industry and not mass produced cars.

"Hydrogen does not produce carbon emissions when it is burned, so is considered a likely replacement for fossil fuels in heavy industries such as shipping and steel and cement-making."

Whilst it's not zero emissions considering hydrogen production, it is significantly better than its fossil fuel counterparts in heavy industry where battery power is not viable for a variety of reasons so it seems JCB have had a grown up discussion about real solutions in this area and if battery was viable, I'm sure investment would have gone into that and possibly even gone into partnership with any number of EV manufacturers with a large investment...

Top Bottom