Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes I wish they'd ditch TG and bring back Wheelbase. Now, there was a motoring programme I used to watch.

But it'll never happen. :sad:

Davidc

Guru
I find all this arguing about the semantics of "Road Tax" v. "VED" boring. That's all it is - playing upon words. As far as I'm concerned, each time mine comes up for renewal :sad: it says "tax disc" on the form and that's good enough for me.

More to the point, is that a good many cyclists pay for the tax disc, on a car that spends a lot of its time gathering dust on the driveway whilst we take the bike instead. So I'm shelling out some £160 or whatever, for not using my car...

As for C***son's enchilada escapada, I fail to understand how he has 'immunity' whereas Woss/Brand didn't....

It is a tax disc - excise duty is a tax, as it is when I have a pint of beer.

It contributes little to the roads though. AFAIK They're paid for out of general taxation for trunk network and motorway roads, from local taxation for local roads.

It's all very silly though, as economical low emission cars like some Fiestas, Corsas, Smarts, Citroens etc dont pay VED either!

Clarkson of course drives a Merc which definitely qualifies for lots of VED. Good.

OP
OP
som3blok3

som3blok3

If I watch TG, the wife gets to watch the last part of WAH,,,,, does it deserve an acronym?? PC and TV are in the same room so I get to be here and there, lucky me.

thomas

the tank engine
Just got back from a little night ride....and half of Norwich must of seen top gear tonight (or at least half of the dozen people that were outside)...and I think they were all eyeing up my camera :tongue:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just got back from a little night ride....and half of Norwich must of seen top gear tonight (or at least half of the dozen people that were outside)...and I think they were all eyeing up my camera :tongue:

No. That was the reflective patch you sat on.. when the car head lights hit your shorts... need I say more. ;):tongue:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Perhaps someone should write into the show and say "cyclists don't pay for sex either". That's the sort of humour they enjoy, and it would probably actually get a better reaction than if you complained.

mangaman

That's top notch stuff.

Particularly good about the idiocy of Hammond I thought. :thumbsup:

thomas

the tank engine
That few seconds of conversation might have done more for cycling safety than anything I can think of.

'Attention motorists, cyclists now have CCTV'.

+1...or at least puts something in the back of people's mind. I don't expect any obvious change.

darkstar

Just watched TG on iPlayer, and came on here straight away as I'd knew you guys look for any excuse to have a moan about Clarkson/Tog Gear/Cars/anything. I was not disappointed
thumbsup.png

asterix

Comrade Member
Love 'Top Gear'. Used to be better but still enjoy it. Any body else just see Clarkson defend motorists against camera wearing cyclists, using the phrase... AND I QUOTE 'Who pays the road tax'..............

I would of thought a man who knows everything about motoring would know the basics from 1937.

Guess not.

Maybe it's to do with the amount of beer he drinks, 'hey, we all pay VED'

Of course he knows. He also knows how to wind people up.

Whatever, he just went down in my list of watchable people. I know they'll be those that say he never was but hey, I thought he was alright until then. :sad:

Top Bottom