Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

som3blok3

Love 'Top Gear'. Used to be better but still enjoy it. Any body else just see Clarkson defend motorists against camera wearing cyclists, using the phrase... AND I QUOTE 'Who pays the road tax'..............

I would of thought a man who knows everything about motoring would know the basics from 1937.

Guess not.

Maybe it's to do with the amount of beer he drinks, 'hey, we all pay VED'

Whatever, he just went down in my list of watchable people. I know they'll be those that say he never was but hey, I thought he was alright until then. :sad:

In before the rage.

Just ignore it, it doesn't matter, it's only a TV show, nothing will change because of it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I applaud hammond for bring it up anyway, he is a cyclist after all.

We all know that clarkson can be a complete 'car' and he can be quite funny.
I informed carlton reid of this (aka the owner of ipayroadtax.com) hopefully he can get something out of the bbc!

I find all this arguing about the semantics of "Road Tax" v. "VED" boring. That's all it is - playing upon words. As far as I'm concerned, each time mine comes up for renewal :sad: it says "tax disc" on the form and that's good enough for me.

More to the point, is that a good many cyclists pay for the tax disc, on a car that spends a lot of its time gathering dust on the driveway whilst we take the bike instead. So I'm shelling out some £160 or whatever, for not using my car...

As for C***son's enchilada escapada, I fail to understand how he has 'immunity' whereas Woss/Brand didn't....

Jezston

Über Member
The problem with gits like Clarkson coming up with the whole 'you don't pay Road Tax' bollocks is that it implies drivers pay for the roads and cyclists don't, when in fact we all pay for the roads with our council tax and general taxation, including people who neither drive nor cycle.

I'm very disappointed that Hammond didn't challenge him on this and just backed down, even though he obviously pays a ton of VED because he owns numerous certainly dirty cars! It would have been a very good opportunity to educate a lot of the kind of people who require this education.

I'm afraid I'm not going to chill out about this. People are being abused, put in danger, injured and often killed by drivers who have developed an attitude towards cyclists perpetuated and justified by gits like Clarkson. However considering the fact they totally got away with serious racism* last week suggests there's little I can do by complaining.

I do enjoy Top Gear, but I fear at some point they are going have pissed off so many people there will be no one left watching.

(*anyone who thinks that their comments about mexicans were in any way acceptable last week may want to consider the following: 1) imagine the reaction if you replaced 'Mexicans' with 'black people' in what they said and; 2) might want to find out more about how Mexicans are treated by the US and how they might be a little sensitive towards the kind of abuse given by the three last week)

thomas

the tank engine
Love 'Top Gear'. Used to be better but still enjoy it. Any body else just see Clarkson defend motorists against camera wearing cyclists, using the phrase... AND I QUOTE 'Who pays the road tax'..............

I would of thought a man who knows everything about motoring would know the basics from 1937.

Guess not.

Maybe it's to do with the amount of beer he drinks, 'hey, we all pay VED'

Whatever, he just went down in my list of watchable people. I know they'll be those that say he never was but hey, I thought he was alright until then. :sad:

I wouldn't worry yourself - it's all done for effect (and to annoy people like you).

However, what you really need to remember is that however many million people watched top gear and know about helmet camera cyclists...they also know that Hammond cycles, which can't be a bad thing...and most people know that Clarkson says things for effect - and even admitted in the bit he doesn't mind cyclists.

Now, even had the whole road tax thing been cleared up correctly, I'm not sure it would really make any difference to the standard of driving.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Clarkson.... such a peach of a guy! :biggrin:

(Beaten to it by Gaz)

I'm amazed they raised it, I bet they (Hammond and May are regular cyclists, it has to be said) all thought... mention this as its pretty interesting. Clarkson is the Alf Garnet of motoring though. Loved the bit when Wossy slapped him in the face. :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
It's a comedy/entertainment programme, anything Clarkson says is purely for comedy value.
I for one won't be complaining about it, just continuing to enjoy one of my favourite shows
thumbsup.png

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the fact is what a Frenchman and his comments about the silly accent
biggrin.gif

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Started a similar thread on chat :rolleyes:

Yes hes a complete nkbo but that's whats he gets paid for i guess , i emailed them with a link about "road tax " and as he pays so much tax at least hes fixing the potholes he makes :whistle:

Top Bottom