Jeremy Vine Caught Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are joggers restricted to the same limit?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought speed limits didn't apply to cycles.
Royal Parks have strange powers. And it's not a road as such, it's a shared use path: see the video - http://www.itv.com/news/london/2014...my-vine-caught-speeding-on-his-bike-at-16mph/

My concern is that if cyclists are forced to travel at walking pace they will return to the roads and mix it with trucks.

I haven't seen a radar gun for a long time so didn't expect one with the digit 16 on it. I feel embarrassed and I apologise. I didn't see any signs. I certainly will be cycling as slow as walking pace in future.

– JEREMY VINE​

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As @deptfordmarmoset points out, he is on a very busy shared use path, not a road.
I'm still waiting to be pulled by the fuzz in Greenwich Park, which has a 20mph limit on the roads.
I've seen a couple of riders get pulled, but they mainly go for cars and they are also very hot on any white van man who dares to drive a van through the park!!!

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I rode through Hyde Park for 3 years (not continuously obviously). Can't remember ever seeing anything about speed limits, just signs prohibiting cycling on some of the paths.

As the alternative for me would have been Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park corner, I reckon that if I was still doing it now I'd risk the speeding. I got clipped by taxis twice when using the road route.

I had the same a couple of weeks back, in the home park (Hampton court). I was radar gunned at 18 mph ( there was no one on the bit of the path I was on, other than the goon with the gun). I just said "if you say so mate", "you're the one with the speedo". He just informed me of the limit (it still seemed to be beyond his comprehension, that I didn't have a speedo), then I said "if I fall off, I'll try to make sure I don't get my Hampton caught on the bars. He didn't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As @deptfordmarmoset points out, he is on a very busy shared use path, not a road.
I'm still waiting to be pulled by the fuzz in Greenwich Park, which has a 20mph limit on the roads.
I've seen a couple of riders get pulled, but they mainly go for cars and they are also very hot on any white van man who dares to drive a van through the park!!!
Do they still do that? I believe they discovered that the legislation didn't cover bikes. I reckon they should take the average speed anyway - up and down - you're only getting back the time you lost on the way up.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I met the Vinester once - decent, genuine guy, much like he is on the radio.

Whatever he might think privately, coughing the job and apologising is a wise move.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm surprised that teh limit is 5mph, I thought it was 10 or 12 on that path.

Still & all, well done plod. Just because you've been intimidated off the road is no reason to intimidate pedestrians off the path, and a lot of cyclists there have absolutely no regard for anything going slower than they are.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Perhaps they need to install lots of electric or soler sign's that cost millions ,tell you your speed like they do in towns and villages for cars,and gatsos for those who speed ,fines will help safety and keep the Brake crowed and the anti everything lobbyists happy and the world will be a happy place again......im going to close my eyes and dream of this happy world now...night night happy world..

christmas shopping today with wife...someone has to get it..

DannyCFC

I'd prefer to see police pull people over as and when needed, be they cyclists or motorists. The police block means you only catch people going through a certain point during a certain time period.

That sounds ok, but a mate of mine who's a locksmith was breathalysed 18 times in one day when Essex police put blocks on all industrial estates in the Thurrock badlands a few years ago, and tested folk in and out!

Top Bottom