Jeremy Vine Caught Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's weird to me. I used to cycle along there a lot, and I can't remember any speed signs (though I guess I'd have ignored 5mph as being for park vehicles that sometimes drive along there). It's got separated pedestrian/cyclist lanes, and mostly the pedestrians and cyclists stuck to their lanes.

I don't think that many cyclists at walking speed would even be safe: they'd be wobbling into each other all the time.

https://vine.co/v/OJrmmdvM2w9/embed/simple?related=0

jarlrmai

Veteran
Seriously try riding at 5mph its bloody hard.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
This sounds like car drivers complaining that sticking to a 20mph limit is unsafe because they lose concentration/have to keep looking down at the speedo
Not really, the effect of 'crawling' (my word for effect) with a tyre planted at each corner and low centre of gravity between all 4 corners is a whole different ball game to a high centre of gravity on a linear structure. I do not advocate intimidating pedestrians at all nor shared use areas having to be subject to the 25mph+ head down a**e up brigade (I am a pedestrian a lot too) but I do genuinely believe that I'd be less of a menace rolling along in control and in a straight line at 10mph than wobbling about and concentrating more on not falling off than anything else at 5mph.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We can all cycle at 5mph, and like @phil_hg_uk , I often do. The question is whether it serves any purpose, or whether it's even enforceable. Or whether roads should be more accommodating to cyclists. And parks, for that matter. JV's video shows a horse track alongside the path. How about a cycle path?

How about a cycle path?
The right hand side (where the cyclists are) is for bikes. The left hand side (where jv is) is for pedestrians

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The right hand side (where the cyclists are) is for bikes. The left hand side (where jv is) is for pedestrians
I know the theory. But getting pedestrians to understand and stick to it is a very different matter. And when cops block the cycling lane where do the passing cyclists go? Oh, in the pedestrian lane! Where the horses go is clearer and gives fewer opportunities for conflict.

Dan B

Disengaged member
we all understand that no path in the uk is reserved for cyclists.
Apparenty "we all" doesn't include Jeremy Vine, if he was really doing 16mph along there. I think about 10mph would be a more sensible limit than 5, but if you really can't ride that slowly without wobbling then I can only suggest more practice is needed. Sure, it's technically walking pace but it's quite a brisk walking pace.

huwsparky

Über Member
Did anyone listen to this on radio 2 today?

Some tool phoned in and said that Vine doing 16mph was the equivalent of doing 94mph in a 30mph zone! :laugh:

Top Bottom