Jeremy Vine meets a gangster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Because she was annoyed by a cyclist and has a beef against them, I'm guessing.

Maybe she actually hates white people and that's what she really meant, but I don't think that sort of presumptive speculation does anybody any favours, do you?

No, I'm not presuming, I think you have the wrong end of the stick. What I'm illustrating is how careless and downright stupid it is to utter the phrase "your lot", "your type" and similar in these situations. This lady gets away with this carelessness not least because she's been even more crass in other respects and it's actually been completely eclipsed. The question I'm asking is would Jeremy Vine have got away with uttering such a careless phrase in any circumstances, particularly in a confrontation with a black female car driver? I think not.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's one of the very few scenarios you're allowed to drive an untaxed car on the road (that needs to be taxed).

That bit's true as I understand it, but the insurance point is a different one. You are never allowed to drive an uninsured vehicle, and you won't become uninsured by dint of not paying your tax, nor your MOT expiring.
Insurance companies have a great deal of difficulty wriggling out of their 3rd party liablities, which after all, is to cater for when you, the insured, is to blame in some way

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I wonder if she regrets her actions now since her face is all over social media & news related sites. Secondly I wonder how far the police will go with this as they dont seem to do much when its your regular joe cyclist reporting an incident. Jeremy Vine is famous to some degree. It could be a case of they bend over backwards trying to help and prosecute the driver because he works for the BBC and if he feels that his case hasnt been taken seriously and there is a lack of progress then he has a strong platform upon which he can voice his opinions.... Not just on social media but across the air waves as well as having an article pushed to the front page of the BBC website.

Whatever the outcome it will hopefully bring attention to the double standards that every day cyclists suffer when they've been involved in any incident involving a vehicle or just road rage in general.

Depending on its outcome maybe its worth reaching out to jeremy and point out these double standards -- but then again he's probably paid too much by the BBC to care about such trivial matters.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That bit's true as I understand it, but the insurance point is a different one. You are never allowed to drive an uninsured vehicle, and you won't become uninsured by dint of not paying your tax, nor your MOT expiring.
Insurance companies have a great deal of difficulty wriggling out of their 3rd party liablities, which after all, is to cater for when you, the insured, is to blame in some way
I am not a wordings or claims expert, but I rather doubt that your insurance company would pay out for anything other than mandatory 3rd-party liability if you were untaxed. As Reggie pointed out there are RTA liabilities which are unavoidable, so if you damage someone else or someone else's property you'll be covered. But if you damage your own car you're on your own.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I am not a wordings or claims expert, but I rather doubt that your insurance company would pay out for anything other than mandatory 3rd-party liability if you were untaxed. As Reggie pointed out there are RTA liabilities which are unavoidable, so if you damage someone else or someone else's property you'll be covered. But if you damage your own car you're on your own.

But what possible basis would they have for weaseling out of it, other than merely being weasels of course?

I could understand if you'd modified the car, or had moved to a high risk town and were fibbing, but not taxed ?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
No, I'm not presuming, I think you have the wrong end of the stick. What I'm illustrating is how careless and downright stupid it is to utter the phrase "your lot", "your type" and similar in these situations. This lady gets away with this carelessness not least because she's been even more crass in other respects and it's actually been completely eclipsed. The question I'm asking is would Jeremy Vine have got away with uttering such a careless phrase in any circumstances, particularly in a confrontation with a black female car driver? I think not.
I don't know if he would or he wouldn't. But he didn't. So why speculate on whether or not there'd be a backlash over something that didn't happen?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But what possible basis would they have for weaseling out of it, other than merely being weasels of course?

I could understand if you'd modified the car, or had moved to a high risk town and were fibbing, but not taxed ?
To take a motor policy wording entirely* at random...

General conditions applying to this policy
[...]
18 Tax and registration Your car must be taxed where applicable and registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or Isle of Man
https://www.allianzebroker.co.uk/co...PER3137_12_Clear-Privat-Car-Policy-Jun-16.pdf

I believe the technical term is condition precedent to liability - something you as the policyholder have to do before the insurance company's liability to you kicks in. Hardly weaselling out of paying...

*The randomness might be from a sample of one.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Has anybody counted how many cars were blocking up that road yet?
It's just occurred to me that some might think that my earlier post was suggesting that it was a bike holding the traffic up. In fact, the road is wide enough for 3 lanes of traffic. The aggression directed towards the cyclist is because of the scores of parked cars narrowing a road to a single track passageway with obstructed visibility. The bike is not holding up the driver, the parked cars on both sides are. Typically, it's the smallest moving vehicle that gets the blame for ''blocking'' the road. And, as ever, the frustration and aggression is directed at the cyclist.

That said, she did almost punish one parked car for obstructing her cruise entitlement.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To take a motor policy wording entirely* at random...

https://www.allianzebroker.co.uk/co...PER3137_12_Clear-Privat-Car-Policy-Jun-16.pdf

I believe the technical term is condition precedent to liability - something you as the policyholder have to do before the insurance company's liability to you kicks in. Hardly weaselling out of paying...

*The randomness might be from a sample of one.

I have to stand corrected. Presumably "where applicable" would get you off on the driving to and from MOT before you can tax it at least. Bizarre though, but hey ho.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
@Dec66
You never speculate? We all do it, it's evident on every thread on this very forum.

I speculated here because clearly a white male cyclist (rightly) can never, ever say "you lot" when addressing a female black motorist in a confrontation, but it seems a black female driver can get away with the same phrase on that white male cyclist with not even a mention, and indeed it ends up being very far from the worst bit of the confrontation. I thought that was an interesting juxtaposition. It's nothing against you, although you seem to be taking it personally so apologies if it offends.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@Dec66
You never speculate? We all do it, it's evident on every thread on this very forum.

I speculated here because clearly a white male cyclist (rightly) can never, ever say "you lot" when addressing a female black motorist in a confrontation, but it seems a black female driver can get away with the same phrase on that white male cyclist with not even a mention, and indeed it ends up being very far from the worst bit of the confrontation. I thought that was an interesting juxtaposition. It's nothing against you, although you seem to be taking it personally so apologies if it offends.
She's a cyclicist!

Top Bottom