Jeremy Vine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
On a quick re-read there might be a couple (from one person) that drift closer than they should. The rest have been critical so I think on balance the “entitled cyclists” charge doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Indeed. Equally I hope it's possible to criticise the cyclists' roadcraft without suggesting that they somehow 'deserve' to be put in danger. That's certainly been my intention.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed. Equally I hope it's possible to criticise the cyclists' roadcraft without suggesting that they somehow 'deserve' to be put in danger. That's certainly been my intention.
It certainly seemed like you thought they'd given "implied permission" to motorists to put them in danger.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think claiming "implied permission" is a great defence for committing an offence. Also, are there many offences which couldn't be excused by such a claim? Is cycling on the carriageway itself (rather than an adjacent or even faraway indirect cycleway) "implied permission" for motorists to close-pass you?

It is not remotely clear that any offence was actually committed though.

The police cyclist saying "he'll get undue care and attention" really means nothing.

The 1.5m that so many are going on about here is guidance it is not the law.

Any court would take into account more than just the space between the vehicles when deciding if it actually is driving without due care & consideration. And the combination of slow speeds and clearly delineated lanes would probably mean the court would decide 1.5m is not necessary. Personally, I would be surprised if the truck driver is actually charged, never mind convicted.

Alex321

Veteran
It's called cycling two abreast along the carriageway, not "deliberately impeding traffic". Drivers should learn before getting licensed to overtake correctly and that overtaking is not a right.

If it is unnecessarily stopping people from overtaking, then it is definitely impeding traffic, and is also against the Highway code.

Alex321

Veteran
I find it very alarming, that, in a cycling forum, where, presumably, the majority of contributors are cyclists, there are so many "entitled driver" opinions. I do hope, for all of our safety, they (the holders of said opinions), are not also drivers.

What do you define as an "entitled driver" opinion? I haven't seen one that I would describe that way.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is not remotely clear that any offence was actually committed though.

The police cyclist saying "he'll get undue care and attention" really means nothing.

The 1.5m that so many are going on about here is guidance it is not the law.

Any court would take into account more than just the space between the vehicles when deciding if it actually is driving without due care & consideration. And the combination of slow speeds and clearly delineated lanes would probably mean the court would decide 1.5m is not necessary. Personally, I would be surprised if the truck driver is actually charged, never mind convicted.

It's a straw man anyway. I'm criticising the cyclist, not defending the motorist.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
What do you define as an "entitled driver" opinion? I haven't seen one that I would describe that way.

To me, an "entitled driver" is one who, (among other things), being in charge of a vehicle relies on the "I have right or way" as a defence, in relation to vulnerable road users.

So, you have a different opinion to me, such is life.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Vine will be delighted his ”slebrity” status has sparked such energetic discourse. Worra d**kwad, filming metweebles barking at delivery trucks to promote peace on the streets. Got that wrong Jezza.

DRM

Guru
Vine will be delighted his ”slebrity” status has sparked such energetic discourse. Worra d**kwad, filming metweebles barking at delivery trucks to promote peace on the streets. Got that wrong Jezza.

I actually think road peace should have distanced themselves from this shambles, as in my opinion all it’s done is fuel the them and us mentality and made things worse, it basically sums up his radio show that’s broadcasting inflammatory nonsense, whilst talking over and cutting off different points of view, I don’t want, him or those amateurish plod representing me

winjim

Smash the cistern
I actually think road peace should have distanced themselves from this shambles, as in my opinion all it’s done is fuel the them and us mentality and made things worse, it basically sums up his radio show that’s broadcasting inflammatory nonsense, whilst talking over and cutting off different points of view, I don’t want, him or those amateurish plod representing me

So that's who the riders in purple were? I hadn't heard of them but just looked them up. It's annoying as this really could have been a chance to talk about road safety, all aspects of it as I mentioned upthread, right down to the consumer level. Instead we're arguing about stupid coppers and whether Vine is a twat or not.

DRM

Guru
So that's who the riders in purple were? I hadn't heard of them but just looked them up. It's annoying as this really could have been a chance to talk about road safety, all aspects of it as I mentioned upthread, right down to the consumer level. Instead we're arguing about stupid coppers and whether Vine is a twat or not.

Exactly, what was a golden opportunity to do some good has been ruined by this chump and two useless coppers, but hey ho it’s got JV’s name to the forefront and promoted him instead

Top Bottom