Jeremy Vine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
frankly, I can’t believe this debate is still ongoing. it’s no coincidence that copper and chopper are a mere letter apart.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Maybe the issue is the local sergeant asks 'oo can ride a bike - ?' Any volunteer is promptly sent out to do his / her stuff without any check on their ability or skill on said bike - ? :whistle:
When I was a peeler, everyone had to pass an ability test in a panda car ( yep, that long ago - ! ) accompanied by a member of the traffic dept. before they were allowed to drive said vehicle as part of their normal patrol duties. :okay:

I understand what you are saying, but, in these Health and Safety, Duty of Care times, I would have thought there would be "ability to ride a bicycle training", "Ability to ride a bicycle Certification", "Refresher Course in Ability to Ride a Bicycle". If this is not the case, then, perhaps, the "wobbly bobby" should be consulting a (no win no fee) Solicitor?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
frankly, I can’t believe this debate is still ongoing. it’s no coincidence that copper and chopper are a mere letter apart.

I find it very alarming, that, in a cycling forum, where, presumably, the majority of contributors are cyclists, there are so many "entitled driver" opinions. I do hope, for all of our safety, they (the holders of said opinions), are not also drivers.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Perhaps it's the entitled cyclists that can't /won't accept that the actions of a cyclist in this video clip are questionble?

Indeed, most unreasonable of those cyclists, fancy feeling entitled to arrive at the end of their journey safe and sound, most unreasonable of them. Just think off all that unnecessary slowing down by those beautiful big motor-vehicles.

Reactions: mjr

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't know about 'entitled driver'. When I look at clips like this, I try to look at them as a cyclist and consider what I would have done in a similar situation, what I would have done differently, what I would have done the same, and how I would have reacted. I use it as a learning tool to improve my own roadcraft.

There's also an advocacy aspect to it but I'm not a lorry driver and won't ever be so I'm not all that interested in what the lorry driver should or could have done, only what they were likely to and in fact did do, and what other drivers might do in a similar situation, regardless of the rights or wrongs or legalities.

newts

Veteran
Indeed, most unreasonable of those cyclists, fancy feeling entitled to arrive at the end of their journey safe and sound, most unreasonable of them. Just think off all that unnecessary slowing down by those beautiful big motor-vehicles.

The expectation of every road user who sets out on a journey is to arrive home safe & sound. Being an entitled dick on a bicycle reduces your chances of getting home safely, we are extremely vulnerable.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The expectation of every road user who sets out on a journey is to arrive home safe & sound. Being an entitled dick on a bicycle reduces your chances of getting home safely, we are extremely vulnerable.

Quite. Exactly what the recent recent revision of the Highway Code attempts to address, and exactly why drivers (I am a driver of a car and a larger vehicle) should exercise caution, observation, anticipation, and, perhaps, most importantly patience.

newts

Veteran
Quite. Exactly what the recent recent revision of the Highway Code attempts to address, and exactly why drivers (I am a driver of a car and a larger vehicle) should exercise caution, observation, anticipation, and, perhaps, most importantly patience.

Several posts back you accused many members of 'so many "entitled driver" opinions'. It's not about taking sides just for the sake of it, but looking at all the evidence in the clip. Perhaps you have missed the point being made in many posts, that a cyclist(s) in the original video could have acted with more due care & attention on the road.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Several posts back you accused many members of 'so many "entitled driver" opinions'. It's not about taking sides just for the sake of it, but looking at all the evidence in the clip. Perhaps you have missed the point being made in many posts, that a cyclist(s) in the original video could have acted with more due care & attention on the road.

To be specific, I said there were many "entitled driver" opinions.

1. Many, as in, I would have expected few or indeed none, on a cycling forum

2. I did not count the number of posters who made such posts, so, I passed no opinion on that number

I did view the video. I agree, for their own safety, the cyclists would have been wise to improve their positioning, but, that does not (IMHO) absolve the driver of the HGV from taking due care and attention. He (or she) was driving a large vehicle, which barely fitted in the lane.
We could argue that such a large vehicle should not be routed along that section of road, or, that the driver could have paused and waited for a safe space, before passing the cyclists, or, the cyclists need lessons in road craft (which would appear to be your view). However, the reality is, the HGV was being driven on that section of road, and, the cyclists were riding as they were. Given those circumstances, IMHO, the driver of the HGV should have exercised more caution and patience.

We obviously differ. Such is life.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Perhaps it's the entitled cyclists that can't /won't accept that the actions of a cyclist in this video clip are questionble?
I don’t think there’s a single post here that defends the cyclists’ road position.

Top Bottom