Jeremy Vine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think that’s quite a stretch, and one I hope I wouldn’t make.

So are we just all going to agree that the police cyclists are a bit rubbish? Because if that's the case then they shouldn't be doing that job and are certainly in no position to accompany and advise others.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, if you ride close to the line like that, in those sort of road conditions, you are going to get passed that closely. They should be aware of that.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
So are we just all going to agree that the police cyclists are a bit rubbish?
Yes.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, if you ride close to the line like that, in those sort of road conditions, you are going to get passed that closely. They should be aware of that.
Yes.

The contentious part is whether we should just shrug and accept that as if no behavioural change is possible. I don’t have a manifesto for how to make that change but I suspect education via well publicised prosecutions may form a part.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In driving past any cyclist, wobbly or not, and regardless of any strip of paint on the road, I give them at least 1.5m. If I can’t, I wait until it’s possible.

That’s all the artic driver needed to do.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes.

Yes.

The contentious part is whether we should just shrug and accept that as if no behavioural change is possible. I don’t have a manifesto for how to make that change but I suspect education via well publicised prosecutions may form a part.

Of course, there's lots of ways of looking at this. The driver's point of view, the road layout, the necessity of driving big lorries in city streets, provision of cycling infrastructure, even down to society, culture and the way we buy and consume the products which the lorries are delivering.

But all else being equal, from a cyclist's point of view I am concerned about the roadcraft of those police officers and the example they are setting to other cyclists.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In driving past any cyclist, wobbly or not, and regardless of any strip of paint on the road, I give them at least 1.5m. If I can’t, I wait until it’s possible.

That’s all the artic driver needed to do.

Thing is, I'm not an artic driver so I'm not going to think about what the artic driver needed to do. I'm a cyclist so I'm going to think about what the artic driver is likely to do. And as s cyclist I think what happened was so likely to happen as to be essentially inevitable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As such, one might assume that the police officer is expecting, and has given implied permission for, traffic to pass him relatively closely on the off side, while [...]
I don't think claiming "implied permission" is a great defence for committing an offence. Also, are there many offences which couldn't be excused by such a claim? Is cycling on the carriageway itself (rather than an adjacent or even faraway indirect cycleway) "implied permission" for motorists to close-pass you?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think claiming "implied permission" is a great defence for committing an offence. Also, are there many offences which couldn't be excused by such a claim? Is cycling on the carriageway itself (rather than an adjacent or even faraway indirect cycleway) "implied permission" for motorists to close-pass you?

I dunno, what's your justification for deliberately impeding traffic in an adjacent lane?

DRM

Guru
Where you see poorly positioned wobbly cyclists another driver might see a confident experienced police officer riding in a protective position. As such, one might assume that the police officer is expecting, and has given implied permission for, traffic to pass him relatively closely on the off side, while keeping that traffic at a greater distance from the inexperienced riders on his near side.

Unfortunately the rest of the group were better positioned, the police officer was the one that needed looking after, mainly from himself, the Sergeant in front wasn’t much better

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Where you see poorly positioned wobbly cyclists another driver might see a confident experienced police officer riding in a protective position. As such, one might assume that the police officer is expecting, and has given implied permission for, traffic to pass him relatively closely on the off side, while keeping that traffic at a greater distance from the inexperienced riders on his near side.

"Assume", when driving an HGV, or, even a mere tonne of motorcar, I hope not. Personally, I prefer a driver to be just a little more diligent than that, particularly if it is MY life and/or well-being her/she is making assumptions about.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I dunno, what's your justification for deliberately impeding traffic in an adjacent lane?
It's called cycling two abreast along the carriageway, not "deliberately impeding traffic". Drivers should learn before getting licensed to overtake correctly and that overtaking is not a right.

iandg

Legendary Member
It's called cycling two abreast along the carriageway, not "deliberately impeding traffic". Drivers should learn before getting licensed to overtake correctly and that overtaking is not a right.

Be aware of drivers behind you, and allow them to overtake (e.g. by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.

There are 2 lanes to allow for improved traffic flow. PC Plod didn't have to ride close to the outside edge of the lane he was cycling in, it was safe enough for him to move to his left or into single file. By not doing so he was therefore impeding traffic (if you are of the opinion that traffic in a different lane needs to give 1.5m space).

Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
the police cyclists are a bit rubbish?
Maybe the issue is the local sergeant asks 'oo can ride a bike - ?' Any volunteer is promptly sent out to do his / her stuff without any check on their ability or skill on said bike - ? :whistle:
When I was a peeler, everyone had to pass an ability test in a panda car ( yep, that long ago - ! ) accompanied by a member of the traffic dept. before they were allowed to drive said vehicle as part of their normal patrol duties. :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
… cyclists riding two abreast should not be commandeering two entire lanes.

They didn’t.

As I’ve pointed out before, the preceding HGV managed a safe pass by only partially leaving his lane and the Waitrose driver could have followed that example.

Whilst all road users should have due regard for their own and others’ safety, the H1 rule of hierarchy makes it clear that “those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others.”

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom