Job type vs cycle miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I didn't realise from what you posted that you were carrying that much stuff or whatever the blocker I missed was... and sending one email doesn't mean "launching a crusade" - or are you the sort who can't go for a ride without starting a round-the-world epic? ;)
Did you also miss the early starts, and possible 15 hour shifts? By my reckoning that would mean at least an 18 hour day from leaving home to arriving back again. Not to mention a sweaty, hilly 25 mile ride to work with no showering facility on arrival. Not for all the money in the world, never mind the pittance they pay HGV drivers! :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
So you're saying that as an HGV driver you're doing 15 hour shifts....
Yes, it's the maximum you can legally do. Now tell me that I can only legally drive for 10 hours, and I will tell you what happens for the other 5.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Come along @User , I'm waiting! Are you away reading up on drivers hours regulations? :laugh:

Edit .... To save you the trouble; daily rest period is normally 11 hours, BUT can be reduced to 9 hours, 3 times per week.
Maximum driving time per shift is normally 9 hours, BUT can be increased to 10 hours, 2 times per week.
9 hour rest period = 15 hours remaining to work in the 24 hour period, and a lot of companies will push drivers to work the maximum permissible hours where possible. (Maximum of 90 hours driving in a 2 week period).
Apart from driving, the rest of the hours are spent loading/unloading; taking statutory breaks; checking vehicle; stuck in stationary traffic; and waiting around for overworked (or lazy) forklift drivers to do their job.

EU Drivers hours regulations.

Edit again, some time later ...... Looks like @User has adopted his usual M.O. when found wanting, and gone to ground. Come out Reg, I know you're on the forum as we speak. You're usually up for an argu a debate; why not now? Is this something else of which you don't seem to know everything? Surely not! :laugh:

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
How do many of the professions cope then? For example, doctors, nurses, vets, teachers...
I wouldn't say a teacher's job is physically demanding, or most vets - other than rural practices- and GPs spend most of the day sitting.
My job isn't physically or mentally demanding either, I cycle 1000 or so miles a year. I don't go for " training" rides though, I've already learned ;-)

beastie

Guru
You're not a teacher...or a vet...or a doctor...
I assume you must be all three then.

Not one of the many teachers I know would claim it's actually a physically demanding job, but that don't mean they aren't fatigued after a day at school. Do you think that sitting at a desk or strolling about a classroom is as hard physically as a labouring job?

Firestorm

Veteran
Too far to commute, and a 5 minute walk to the station. 6.30 train in the morning , home about 7.30. So little time to ride during the week .
I wouldnt class the job as mentally or physically demanding, however the boss is very demanding...

KneesUp

Guru
You're not a teacher...or a vet...or a doctor...

I am a teacher (not currently, but qualified, and worked for several years in a state comprehensive). They say teaching is physically demanding - and it is to a certain extent because you're on your feet a lot of the time, but you can adapt your style. Certainly not every teacher I was taught by or worked with was on their feet all the time.

When I was a pupil at school I used to work Saturday mornings in a warehouse, packing all the Friday afternoon orders ready to go out on Monday. When you're expected to pack x orders over the shift and it's all sorts of ironmongery that might be located all over the warehouse, you don't have much choice about it how much work it was. Sure you could read through your orders and get things in your own order to save walking as far, but 10,000 screws weighs as much as it weighs - you can't adapt your style to make it lighter. Worse was the chain store shop warehouse I worked in a few years later, as the deliveries came in at ground level and the warehouse was above the shop. Because the driver had set delivery slots, the pressure was on to get the contents out the lorry and into the warehouse as quickly as possible, and I would regularly find myself literally dripping with sweat in December (tmi I know, but I really don't sweat much - it was knackering - this was when computer monitors were not flat, and nor we TVs)

So yeah, teaching is hard work mentally (definitely) and physically (more than people imagine) but not physically hard work compared to a lot of jobs. I've not even mentioned the sort of jobs that people I know do in steel works.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How do many of the professions cope then? For example, doctors, nurses, vets, teachers...
Doctors and nurses - alcohol and drug abuse?

Teachers - leaving the profession in droves?

I don't know about vets! :laugh:

Seriously though ... the fact that many people manage to cope with excessive professional workload and stress does not mean that it is healthy!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't need to use my brain at all at work, but it can get quite physical, heavy lifting, a lot of bending, walking, standing for hours.
My mileage is low not because I'm tired from work, but because the shifts are long.
In my time off I need to do house work, admin, food shopping, decorating, gardening, bike mechanics, the list is never ending, free time limited.
I'm also a slow rider, need at least 5 hours for 50 miles.

KneesUp

Guru
I don't need to use my brain at all at work, but it can get quite physical, heavy lifting, a lot of bending, walking, standing for hours.
My mileage is low not because I'm tired from work, but because the shifts are long.
In my time off I need to do house work, admin, food shopping, decorating, gardening, bike mechanics, the list is never ending, free time limited.
I'm also a slow rider, need at least 5 hours for 50 miles.
That would make you Pat "up to 10mph" :smile:

Top Bottom