Jobs you hate !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sort it out, be bold!

After having to retire from the dibble on health grounds Mrs D took a few years out wnd then retrained as a teacher. She had just been doing the job long enough to hate it when covid came along. Because of her MS the principal gave her the task of replacing his outgoing PA in order to shield her (at no loss of pay, bless him) as she was medically vulnerable.

This showed her that there is a life outside that which she thought she was saddled with and last year she took a job as a School Admin Manager at the lwrgest school in Poshshire, and just last week started as Director of Business for a group of primary schools in MK where she's in charge of all non-teaching staff and business functions and processes. She's now coming home every day with a big grin on her face.

From teacher to director in 3 years and 2 months, almost trebling her salary along the way. Sure, compared to me she's very driven but if she could do it so could you me old mucker. Hate to think of any of my CC homies in misery, so grit your teeth, make the change and make us all proud. You only get one crack at life, don't waste 5/7ths of it in misery.

My only skills are shooting people or hitting them with a stick, so there isn't much out there for me and I'm too old to go back to BGing or contracting (55 is the typical cut off for hiring and that's where I'm at) so I'm happy with a life of mediocrity as a house husband. Ive decent financial provision so Ive learned to accept my lot and find happiness in the routine so I guess I'm lucky. I've had my crack up and come out the other side calmer and more accepting.

waiting out till they offer early retirement lump sum then i will be looking , until then i have to hold out as the family depend on me to pay the bills .

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I absolutely hate painting, and most of the prep that goes with it. I don't mind filling in holes and sanding, but the washing and masking off tries my patience. The painting itself is the worst bit; it's messy and boring. I had my partner help me paint the kitchen and it doesn't look bad, but after 3 coats there are still patches that need doing again. It's the only job where I do it as quickly as I can and sod the expense e.g. I'll throw away rollers and brushes rather than clean them.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Decorating & DIY.
I'm quite happy to pay somebody who enjoys or is good at that short of thing while I bugger off and do something more enjoyable with my time.

PK99

Legendary Member
The outside drain, into which kitchen sink and dishwasher drain, goes down just less than an arms length and then goes 90 degrees to horizontal.

No matter how careful we are, eventually once a year, a lip of congealed fat builds up and blocks the drain at that point. My arm is just long enough to reach down through the drainfull of disgusting "stuff" and pull out gobbets of congealed fat. After the first gobbet, the process is accompanied by the most disgusting of slurping draining noises.

Do I win?

Removing stippled ceilling paint. The muckiest DIY job ever.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I did the "lino" on my L shaped en suite. It seemed to go in OK but required mental gymnastics and quadruple checking.
I suspect by the inverted commas you were laying vinyl not real lino. Not too bad if it's a simple L shape.
Many bathrooms have all sorts of odd shaped and cut outs. The layers of real lino take the thick paper that comes rolled inside and use it to make a template. They then transfer that onto the lino and carefully cut it out. Quite an art.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Mmmh, I've gotta say I actually like most jobs: ironing, hoovering, lawn mowing, painting and so on. I actually get excited about the prospect! But for some reason I dislike working on the bike because then I have to scrummage around for tools. My SO on the other hand is super organised and has all DIY-related tools sorted out so to do anything around the house is a case of getting tool and starting.

Top Bottom