Jobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rikki

Legendary Member
Got to get on with your job

Hello Got-to-get-fit

When you are the last post on 6 of the last 7 threads in the cafe (and you are), then you are doing even less work than me.

Unless you are not at work. Then it's me that should get on with the job.

Arch

Married to Night Train
barq;39390][QUOTE=Arch said:
Did you go through that stage where you just didn't care anymore? If so how long did it last? Mine's at about a year and counting...;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I actually took a year off (although that was partly for financial reasons). I did come back with more enthusiasm, although it does still ebb away at times. I find that conferences can be good for the moral - they certain help me to focus my attention! That said, it's a fine balance between doing all the stuff that seems exciting and getting on with the daily business of writing and re-writing. Speaking of which...[/QUOTE]

I've tried conferences-as-motivators, but the last two times I've just come away feeling inadequate, as everyone else seems more enthusiastic and motivated than me. I'm supposed to be doing a poster for one at the end of August, and have about a week to get it together and so far have nothing... :sad: That focus better kick in pretty quickly...

And the grant stops at the end of September, so from then it's writing up on my savings and what I can earn doing the odd teaching job...

catwoman

I work for a local council in the field of environmental health. Not allowed to use computer at work for recreational purposes. I'm also currently studying for a BSc part-time.

barq

Arch said:
I've tried conferences-as-motivators, but the last two times I've just come away feeling inadequate, as everyone else seems more enthusiastic and motivated than me. I'm supposed to be doing a poster for one at the end of August, and have about a week to get it together and so far have nothing... :sad: That focus better kick in pretty quickly...

And the grant stops at the end of September, so from then it's writing up on my savings and what I can earn doing the odd teaching job...

Yeah, I've been studying on my own money for a while now. I'm in a constant state of denial over the debt I'm running up! :biggrin: To be honest, every conference I've done has been very last minute. I'm sure you'll be fine - you can get a lot done in a week (or less).

I always like to find the break-away groups at conferences. There you get people being a bit more normal - less overwhelmingly full of themselves. ;)

Good luck.

Mr Phoebus

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Bukakkeneer being new to me I Googled and got one hit (there's a name for that isn't there?):

I'm still confused..........................
It's a word made up by me, you'll have to remove the 'neer' from it to get the real word.;)

It's not worksafe word btw.

A bit like this....
acinnabun6iced.jpg

But much worse.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm an R&D scientist for a big company that makes all sorts of stuff. When I started here, ages ago, I was a lab technician for a medium-sized UK manufacturing company. I've largely been promoted by using the technique of not leaving. The company has twice been swallowed by larger entities since I've been here.

chris42

alecstilleyedye;39766][quote name= said:
I also can't be on here in working hours, the boss doesn't allow it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just as well, or the rest of us wouldn't get a word in edgeways ;)[/QUOTE]

Pot --- kettle :sad:

gbyers

Mr Phoebus;40035][QUOTE=twentysix by twentyfive said:
Bukakkeneer being new to me I Googled and got one hit (there's a name for that isn't there?):

I'm still confused..........................
It's a word made up by me, you'll have to remove the 'neer' from it to get the real word.;)

It's not worksafe word btw.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks pal. (Not) I was completely mystified myself until I googled the word minus the neer. Now I'm better informed but having a worse lunch hour than I was.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
Did you go through that stage where you just didn't care anymore? If so how long did it last?
Six years, last time I looked.

I think I am finally going to get my finger out and change jobs. Just for another one in academic administration, mind - it's a doddle. The job I do now would be tolerable (I can cope with boredom and a complete absence of job satisfaction) but for the number of unacceptably rude people in this particular sink of mediocrity ;) One specimen returned from holiday today to ruin my idyll of the past few weeks and I thought "Soddit, I've been cooped up with peanuts like this long enough".

Top Bottom