Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Having spent weeks trying to snag a jumping chain on my Steel road bike, I finally spotted that the jockey wheels on the 9 Speed Tiagra derailleur had lots of lateral play, espacially the one closest to the casette.

Having given the chain plenty of attention to remedy stiff links, finding the jockey wheel loose is a revelation.

As the chain past the wheel at a certain part of the chain, you could see the wheel move sideways, allowing the chain to jump a cog.

I replaced the closest to the cassette jockey wheel with a (temporary) used spare, and now the chain is not jumping at all, as the jockey wheel is not wiggling and allowing it to move.

Fingers crossed that my lunch ride is trouble free today.

Any pointers on cheap 9 speed jockey wheels appreciated. All around the tenner mark which is OK I guess.

john59

Guru

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Having spent weeks trying to snag a jumping chain on my Steel road bike, I finally spotted that the jockey wheels on the 9 Speed Tiagra derailleur had lots of lateral play, espacially the one closest to the casette.

Having given the chain plenty of attention to remedy stiff links, finding the jockey wheel loose is a revelation.

As the chain past the wheel at a certain part of the chain, you could see the wheel move sideways, allowing the chain to jump a cog.

I replaced the closest to the cassette jockey wheel with a (temporary) used spare, and now the chain is not jumping at all, as the jockey wheel is not wiggling and allowing it to move.

Fingers crossed that my lunch ride is trouble free today.

Any pointers on cheap 9 speed jockey wheels appreciated. All around the tenner mark which is OK I guess.
The top jockey wheel is meant to have some lateral movement, it's how Shimano got 'indexing' to work.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My week goes from bad to worse. Jockey wheel was not secured and came off, managed to hobble back to work within the hour.
Idiot.

My week goes from bad to worse. Jockey wheel was not secured and came off, managed to hobble back to work within the hour.
Idiot.
I've done that. Must have forgot to tighten it when I cleaned it. A pleasant walk in a forest ensued.

How many miles do you tend to get out of jockey wheels, and is it obvious when they need replacing?

Tom B

Guru
Idiot.

I took mine to bits on the patio during the summer, cleaned everything up. Then just as i was putting it back together dropped the roller which rolled off into the grass, never to be seen again. 4 mile walk to the bikeshop!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How many miles do you tend to get out of jockey wheels, and is it obvious when they need replacing?

The pair on my commute bike are now up to 20,000 miles and look nowhere near needing replacing

iYzUt.jpg

Keep them clean and clear the crud off them when you 'Mickle' your chain and they should last a good long time.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Locktite on bolt thread before tightening. Critical item.
Or you could just tighten the bolt to the correct torque and check it after the shakedown?

Many thousands and mainly by comparison with a new one (or a picture) and it has not enough of the teeth left, or it has excessive play (including tilt sometimes).

D

Deleted member 26715

There was me thinking you had a question about towing your caravan with a bike

U

User33236

The jockey wheels on Mrs SG's commuter got a bit noisy earlier this year so I removed, cleaned and refitted them before realising that top and bottom are different. Thankfully Google came to my assistance to identify which was which. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom