Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Or you could just tighten the bolt to the correct torque and check it after the shakedown?

Many thousands and mainly by comparison with a new one (or a picture) and it has not enough of the teeth left, or it has excessive play (including tilt sometimes).
Also the direction the chain travels in has the action of tightening the spindle bolt on the bottom pulley but loosens the top one, maybe if the top bolt (the one that is hard to get at) was inserted from the other side it would be easier to get at and self-tighten, (another reason that the bottom pulley copes with a single bonded in bush whilst the top wheel has a bonded and a sliding bush)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Also the direction the chain travels in has the action of tightening the spindle bolt on the bottom pulley but loosens the top one, maybe if the top bolt (the one that is hard to get at) was inserted from the other side it would be easier to get at and self-tighten
I guess models differ but my RD-5500 has the bolts going in opposite ways, to achieve the 'tightening effect you describe. Looking towards the bike, the bottom jockey wheel goes clockwise and the bolt head can be seen; the top wheel goes anti-clockwise and you can see the threads of the tightened bolt (in my case with the remnants of some locktite on it).
I thought the reason for the sliding bush on the top one was more for changing/(mini-)alignment with sprocket function (ie desirable right/left movement).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I guess models differ but my RD-5500 has the bolts going in opposite ways, to achieve the 'tightening effect you describe. Looking towards the bike, the bottom jockey wheel goes clockwise and the bolt head can be seen; the top wheel goes anti-clockwise and you can see the threads of the tightened bolt (in my case with the remnants of some locktite on it).
I thought the reason for the sliding bush on the top one was more for changing/(mini-)alignment with sprocket function (ie desirable right/left movement).
The last one I stripped to clean/regrease (a couple of weeks ago) is the Deore on the back of my Ridgeback, that has bolts that go in from the same side (outer side)

Top Bottom