Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
So, the upper and lower jockey wheels (guide and tension) - what's the difference?

I need to replace mine and some come in pairs which state 'guide and tension' but others (usually the most expensive ones) supply two exactly the same.

Do they need to be different?

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I should mention that these are 11T Shimano 10 spd compatible ones

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I know they are different on my SRAM Rival and, as I was studying them yesterday and today, I should be able to tell you the difference ..... :blush:

The bottom one says 'Narrow' while the top one is 'Centurion' or something, IIRC

No idea what the difference is - but they do differ.

Not a lot of help but maybe better than none ;)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I can see why some float at the top pulley as is typical is likely best - let the CC'er whose rear mech is always 100% lined up with the correct rear sprocket in every gear cast the first stone!!!

Ouch! Who did that? :scratch:

Like SO many things in this business, such as ceramic ball bearings in hubs, bb's etc. appreciation of expensive jockey wheels requires faith, a BIG dollop of faith... Read this.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
They should be different esp top-end Dura Ace etc - the top one has lateral play to help with shifting. The bottom one has no play.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I can see why some float at the top pulley as is typical is likely best - let the CC'er whose rear mech is always 100% lined up with the correct rear sprocket in every gear cast the first stone!!!

Ouch! Who did that? :scratch:

Like SO many things in this business, such as ceramic ball bearings in hubs, bb's etc. appreciation of expensive jockey wheels requires faith, a BIG dollop of faith... Read this.

After reading that article I can conclude that high end jockey wheels have no float in the upper wheel (so they are both the same) and according to the article they noticed no decrease in performance as a result.

However, the article concludes that there is no performance benefit from expensive jockey wheels, BUT I need to replace mine becsude one has broken, I'm not looking for performance benefits! I found the exact Shimano replacements not available. Would any 10spd Shimano jockey wheel fit? The Dura-Ace ones are damn expensive anyway. A lot of flashy aftermarket ones are a similar price.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Ordered a set of BBB alloy jockey wheels for £20 which seemed like a good balance between price and quality. The upper pulley has no float so I'll report back if I notice a difference from the original shimanos.

I should add that even £20 for jockey wheels is insane but after looking at all available it now sounds quite cheap! A pair range from £8 to £110

Top Bottom