Joe Blow pump not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Got one of these for crimbo, after seeing many recommendations hereabouts - tried it for the first time this morning but couldn't get anywhere with it.

It's got a lever at rest in the middle of a sort of hammerhead tube ending - one end for car valves, t'other for presta. I thought what you had to do was simply put the right end firmly on the valve, then push the lever that way to lock on, then pump. But no joy. There's no seal. All I get is a whoosh noise. And no, the valve isn't iced up or anything - I gave up in the end (after flattening the tyre) and went back to my old Beko cheapo track pump, which worked fine. Am I missing something?

oscarplu

Über Member
Hi swee pea, i had exactly the same problem, but then i realised i was pushing the lever in the wrong direction, i was pushing it towards the valve i wanted to use and i should have been pushing it away from the valve that i needed!!! DOH..... I also found that you have to push the lever quite firmley until it locks in place!!!! Dont know if this may help... Failing that, it could be a faulty pump!!!!

oscarplu

Über Member
Hi swee pea, i had exactly the same problem, but then i realised i was pushing the lever in the wrong direction, i was pushing it towards the valve i wanted to use and i should have been pushing it away from the valve that i needed!!! DOH..... I also found that you have to push the lever quite firmley until it locks in place!!!! Dont know if this may help... Failing that, it could be a faulty pump!!!!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks oscarplu - sounds like that might be my solution! I'll give it a go. (I was indeed pushing it in what sounds like it's the wrong direction.)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks oscarplu - sounds like that might be my solution! I'll give it a go. (I was indeed pushing it in what sounds like it's the wrong direction.)

02GF74

Über Member
yes - look at the lever - you can see casting showing the posiiotn,

from memory grey is presta and black is car type - the end of the lever is moved away from the valve.

even presta - normal pumps do not need lever - requires the lever moved as I believe it seal the end piece.

sooner or later the seal on the piston will go - use a bit of grease to temporarily seal it otherwsie it is just replacement of an o-ring - easy peasy - sorry but don;t know the size - hang on to it should it ever rip/get damaged so you can buy replacement.

02GF74

Über Member
yes - look at the lever - you can see casting showing the posiiotn,

from memory grey is presta and black is car type - the end of the lever is moved away from the valve.

even presta - normal pumps do not need lever - requires the lever moved as I believe it seal the end piece.

sooner or later the seal on the piston will go - use a bit of grease to temporarily seal it otherwsie it is just replacement of an o-ring - easy peasy - sorry but don;t know the size - hang on to it should it ever rip/get damaged so you can buy replacement.

matc

Colour me an idiot also ... did exactly the same thing. Wrong way, not hard enough. Fnaar. Also be aware that the dial will show no pressure until you've pumped it at least once. Double fnaar.

matc

Colour me an idiot also ... did exactly the same thing. Wrong way, not hard enough. Fnaar. Also be aware that the dial will show no pressure until you've pumped it at least once. Double fnaar.

yashicamat

I did the same thing first time around too. I think the confusion starts because a lot of small portatable pumps tend to have the lever swinging towards the valve to lock it (certainly my frame pump is like this).

yashicamat

I did the same thing first time around too. I think the confusion starts because a lot of small portatable pumps tend to have the lever swinging towards the valve to lock it (certainly my frame pump is like this).

jimboalee

With the Joe Blow track pump on Presta, it is useful if the Presta seat is released after unscrewing the lock nut with a quick tap of the pump head.

The first time I used my Joe Blow, it went to 160 psi - full scale - and the Presta stuck firmly. I removed the pump head and gave the Presta a short tap and hey presto....

jimboalee

With the Joe Blow track pump on Presta, it is useful if the Presta seat is released after unscrewing the lock nut with a quick tap of the pump head.

The first time I used my Joe Blow, it went to 160 psi - full scale - and the Presta stuck firmly. I removed the pump head and gave the Presta a short tap and hey presto....

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
jimboalee said:

Don't you mean hey presta :biggrin:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Finally got round to trying it this morning - worked fine, so thanks all. Only problems is, I found it really difficult to exert enough downward force to actually make the handle go down, once I was up around the 100psi mark. It was literally lifting my feet off the ground! I know I'm not a heavy feller (11 stone something) but I'm not *that* light. Bit weird really...anyone else had anything similar?

Top Bottom