John Lydon on Question time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Lydon never made any pretence to be doing anything other than cashing in whenever he gets the chance, unlike the Clash who claimed to be 'for the people'.

Lydon used to have a brilliant talk radio show on a site called eyada where he proved himself to be very different to the pantomime persona often seen in seconds long clips on telly. If you listen to him speak in depth he's a very clever and compassionate man, it's just when he's reduced to a soundbite that he appears to come across as a bit of a narna.

As Andy C says he's far from stupid. Whether he is right for question time or not I don't know but you could put Katie Price on QT and she would probably make more sense than most MP's. She certainly has more dignity and humility. It's only the 'wild cards' and the audience that stop menu from being physically sick these days when watching QT. I can see why people find it easy to dislike Johnny, and that's kind of the point. Personally I have a huge admiration for his work as an artist, particularly after the end of the Sex Pistols, when he pretty much single handedly reinvented music.

Oh, and you were going so well! My finger was hovering over the 'Like' button ;)
Oh, and you were going so well! My finger was hovering over the 'Like' button ;)

Ha, I thought I was possibly going a bit far with that one myself to be honest. Seem to half possessed by a troll spirit at the moment. Go on, give us a like! I could do with an ego boost after the pasting I have just invited upon myself in CA&D.:cycle:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
John Lydon was on question time last night...anyone watch it?..I've a lot of time for him...he is a clever man and very funny.What do others think of him?

I wish I could see more of him on TV. His lyrics for the Sex Pistols and PIL showed genius, he always has something interesting, intelligent and unusual to say, which makes him a heck of a lot more entertaining than 99% of the folks who somehow manage to get more air time on TV than he does.

I think he is very successful at self promotion. He has no outstanding talent and attempts to shock, offend and be controversial at every opportunity. It's old, rehearsed, expected and fake...

I'm not sure what your point is. He is a punk. Part of the ethos of punk is to shock, offend and be controversial, in order to force people to see things from a different perspective. That's what punk is all about, and none of it comes naturally to anyone, so of course it's an act. What else could it be? The fact that it's an act doesn't mean it has no worth. Heck, if it were not for the iconoclastic influence of punk, the world would be a different and (in my view) a far worse place.

As for him having 'no outstanding talent', maybe you missed the mid to late 1970s, but no knowledgeable person with any ability to recognize genius could seriously claim that John Lydon had no outstanding talent. As for him today, I can't judge, since the last time I heard him speak was years ago. But talent like that doesn't dry up - if you ever had it, barring some sort of brain injury, you've still got it.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
You never listen to a word that I said
You only seen me
For the clothes that I wear
Or did the interest go so much deeper
It must have been
The colour of my hair

The Public Image

What you wanted was never made clear
Behind the image was ignorance and fear
You hide behind this public machine
Still follow same old scheme

Public Image

Two sides to every story
Somebody had to stop me
I'm not the same as when I began
I will not be treated as property

Public Image

Two sides to every story
Somebody had to stop me
It’s not a game of monopoly

Public image

Public image
You got what you wanted
The public image belongs to me
It's my entrance
My own creation
My grand finale
My goodbye

Public image
Goodbye

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
You never listen to a word that I said
You only seen me
For the clothes that I wear
Or did the interest go so much deeper
It must have been
The colour of my hair

The Public Image

What you wanted was never made clear
Behind the image was ignorance and fear
You hide behind this public machine
Still follow same old scheme

Public Image

Two sides to every story
Somebody had to stop me
I will not be treated as property

Public Image

Two sides to every story
Somebody had to stop me
It’s not a game of monopoly

Public image

Public image
You got what you wanted
The public image belongs to me
It's my entrance
My own creation
My grand finale
My goodbye

Public image
Goodbye

It exactly the words of a thicky are they!

The best definition of punk is that there is no definition of punk :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't take seriously anyone I see on Question Time -
- self important evasive politicians
- vain half-educated Westminster-Bubble journalists
- a chairman with a third-rate intellect who has spent his entire working life as a Beeb hack and mistakenly thinks his views are as interesting as the panel's.

You watch it every week then ............

Top Bottom