john o groats to lands end 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've done the ride in both directions and rode solo, camping all the way unsupported. Camping offered the maximum flexibility and needed the least planning. Most other riders that I met on the route were also riding solo apart from a group of six from a VI form college and a pair of women.

The ride only becomes challenging when doing it in the fewest days possible, I had no problems doing it in sixteen days weighing in at 24 stones.

Last edited:

jnrmczip

I'm surprised at how many people go it alone from the comments. Bnb's do look popular but camping just seems more fun well if there is a group doing it anyway maybe not so good if solo. How long did the ride usually take each day to complete and so on ??

vernon

I'm surprised at how many people go it alone from the comments. Bnb's do look popular but camping just seems more fun well if there is a group doing it anyway maybe not so good if solo. How long did the ride usually take each day to complete and so on ??

There is no magic formula for LEJOG just as there is no set route. The only things set in stone are the start and end points. If you want a formula, divide the total mileage by the number of days you want to complete the ride in and then divide the average daily miles by your average speed to get the number of hours that you can expect to ride. Your daily mileage will be additionally governed by the availability of accommodation so you will have 'long' days and 'short' days.

I camped all of the way and was not averse to wild camping and so was not a hostage to accommodation locations.

For me my rides were 1016 and 1024 miles long completed over sixteen days. My shortest day was 22 miles done in two hours after partially recovering from a mammoth eight hour drinking session and my longest was 88 miles done in twelve hours pedalling into a headwind on the east coast of Scotland.

There's a long list of LEJOG rides with links to the ride journals here. SOme of the links are broken but the introduction advises how to access them from an Internet archive. Take your time to read them then compile a list of questions to post.

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

jnrmczip

This is something I am definitely going to do seems like a great challenge and I am more than up for it I'm going to do my research this weekend and then start my planning.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've done LEJOG with my wife and a year later LEJOGLE solo. Each time I did B&Bs or youth hostels. Not a huge amount of either trip was planned. I took 14 days for the single journey and a month for the two way trip. It is huge fun doing it solo - I'd recommend going on your own.
That's almost what I had planned but starting and finishing at home, all by cycle. My target would have been 3 weeks with a trip to Islay to stand on my square foot and have a Dram (or 3). Maybe next year

jnrmczip

yeah me to looking at June i think
are you going to go it alone or join one of the challenges I have been looking and there is a challenge that cost 1400 and that is bnb with breakfast and lunch included ALSO snacks while riding .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think its like any other ride in which there are a wide variety of ways of doing it and it just doesnt depend on how much is in your wallet.

If I were paying £1600 and riding it in 7 days, I would want nice, peaceful, relaxing accomodation. In fact I could get luxury for that price.

Hostels and B&Bs are fine but a lot more relaxed riding than above and probably cheaper.

Then there is the campers who are mostly going to take it easy and sight see and carry all their gear.

Then there is supported and unsupported and those doing it for fun and those raising money for charity and heavy load campers and ultra lite campers. It just goes on and on. With a thousand variations.

In the end everyone starts off and finishens at the same points and whichever way you do it you must be buzzing when you finish.

Hopefully, Jannie and I will have a go at it next July with our light camping gear and have 3 weeks to do it in.

Steve

Bikerta

I finished my JOGLE on 23rd August and found it an amazing experience. I was not a fully fledged cyclist this time last year, just the odd few leisure rides of around 20 miles. I then trained over the year, gradually increasing my mileage and concentrating on improving my hill riding.

I bought a Dawes Galaxy for the trip, but found the fit was not good for me as too long a reach. Ended up going to SJS cycles in Bridgwater and buying a Thorn Sherpa. It has been an amazing bike, and was perfect for my trip as I followed many canal paths and forestry tracks (Great Glen Way for one) I covered 1,170 miles as I took a scenic route including Mull and Arran and finished in 23 days, so averaging 50 miles a day. I camped 21 out of the 23 days, the other 2 being a B & B in Dumfries and Galloway area as couldn't find campsite and a hostel at Arneside after cycling through horrendous wind and rain during hurricane Bertha. (was flooded out of my tent the previous night and spent night in a chair in the campers kitchen). These 2 nights did show me how much easier it is to do the trip using B & B's. The bike would have been so much lighter without all the camping gear, no problem charging phones etc., and you can get your kit dry much easier. I found I had to strap my wet clothes to the top of my panniers so that they would dry on the bike. During the wet days, I did end up having to wear wet shorts the next day - YUK! I enjoy camping and when the weather was good, it was no problem, but during the hurricane period, it caused me a lot of grief.

I was travelling on my own without any support and enjoyed doing it in this way. I would not have liked being part of an organised group, even though it does have its benefits, I liked having the full flexibility of stopping when I wanted to and getting my head down and putting the miles behind me when I was in the right mood. I did not intend to raise money for charity, but was persuaded to and ended up raising over £1,300 for Air Ambulance.

The feeling as you cross the finishing line is fantastic and I had a huge grin on my face for the last 2 miles or so. Mind you things become a bit flat a couple of days later and I really missed the routine of getting up, packing away and facing that days challenges. Best thing to do is plan another one now I think.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Some good info here thanks

have also done this twice 1995-2005 40th/50th and was planning on my third 2015 for my 60th but going JOGLE for a change :laugh:.. but at the moment got probs with eyes so plans on hold first time I went solo the yha route all pre booked. the second went with a guy from the ctc forum who was looking for a ride buddy no accommodation booked . both had pro,s+cons... lots here also http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/ :thumbsup:

Last edited:

vernon

@vernon what bike did you use for ride and how was the road etc ??

I used a Dawes Galaxy 21 speed tourer. There's no need to purchase an expensive bike to do the ride. Anything with a decent spread of gears and rack mounting points will do. The route was like all other routes; variable in surface and traffic density. Things will have changed considerably in the seven or eight years since I did the ride and a detailed answer wouldn't really be relevant. The only major change that I am aware of is that the stretch of road that bridged the gap between the M6 and the M74 that was a motorway in all but name is now a low traffic route as the gap is now bridged by a dedicated motorway.

Top Bottom