john o'groats to lands end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevelar

Hi,

I guess this has been asked before. I'm cycling from jog to le mid July and need to get to start point from bournemouth. I thought it would be easy to hire a car one way. I have found out this is not the case.:biggrin:

Does anyone know of a care hire company that would enable us to pick up here and drop off at wick or somewhere near?

The furthest north I can get is Inverness.

Thank you.

rogersavery

Get the train

BigGee

Agree, use the train. Just remember to make your Bike reservations well in advance.

Overnight sleeper from Euston to inverness and then onto Thurso a few hours later. You can be in Thurso mid afternoon and then a 20 mile or so ride to JOG, best go via Dunnett Head, which is the most northerly point in mainland UK and worth the trip.

I then went down to Wick and stayed the first night there, that makes Inverness doable in a day if you fancy going for a long one. Generally its a good way of shaking out your legs before the big miles start. I would hate to think what they would feel like if you spent all that time in a car. It is a very long drive from Bornemouth.

have a good ride

grahame

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Stevelar,

3 of us are leaving Bournemouth to get to JOG for circa 4th September for a 9 day ride to LE. I'm looking at all different options aswell, have you found much as yet?

The trains are looking rather expensive, maybe the one way rental is the way forward but it is a long, long drive to start.

If you find anything good please let me know and I'll do the same. If you can get to Inverness there is a train to Wick from there you'd have to ride up to JOG, twentyish miles I've been told, 20 extra but in the great scheme of things......

Regards,

Robbiep (Charminster!)

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Stevelar,

I've recently been to Enterprise car rental in Charminster and they've advised the following:

Bournemouth to Inverness one way rental - estate car £52.00 + £50.00 one way fee. Additional drivers are £5.00 each and a deposit of £250.00 is required. For £10.00 you can reduce the excess from £600.00 to £100.00.

Not a bad deal I thought............this is what we plan to do for the Sept JOGLE.

Top Bottom