Joining an audax on your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Joining anything for the first time is a bit scary. Generally, if you mention to someone that it's your first audax, they'll give you a welcome and a bit of advice. However, you might get out on the road and find that they are way slower or faster than you and you and never see them again.

It's more likely that you will either find yourself riding with someone of your pace and you may stay together for a good while and get chatting - or ride in silence, depending on what's comfortable. If someone really doesn't want to talk, probably best not to force things!

If there's an empty seat on a table at a control, ask if you can join.

Work is a subject that people tend not to talk about very much either - but if you ask someone an interesting question about their bike, they might warm to you quickly!

Star Strider

I have considered giving it a go.

It looks better than the seemingly rather odd sportive rides which look to be a bit like a re-enactment or tour racing.

boybiker

Guru
It's like anything, it is what you make it. Just be friendly and talk to others and you will soon forget you entered on your own! :thumbsup:

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I'm guessing that there are audax regulars who you see at many such events?

Oh yes. At each event you will see a group of usual suspects, either from the region in which the audax is taking place or from YACF

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I am doing my first calendar event in a couple of weeks time. So far my rides have been perms so I've been on my own. I'm quite looking forward to some company, but more importantly I'm interested to see how I'll stack up against some seasoned audaxers lol

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Referring back to the original poster. I did a calendared event yesterday. I quickly acquired a riding partner in the first five or six miles. I rescued him from his navigation errors and in return he bought me a cuppa and short bread at a control. Towards the end of the ride i thought that I'dnot make 'the cut' so I shooed him off to give him a better chance of making the cut. We both ended up making it back in time, seperated by about 1/2 an hour. I gave him a pie to eat on his drive back to Newcastle as a parting present.

One new friendship. :cheers:

Top Bottom