Joining an audax on your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I am doing my first calendar event in a couple of weeks time. So far my rides have been perms so I've been on my own. I'm quite looking forward to some company, but more importantly I'm interested to see how I'll stack up against some seasoned audaxers lol

You'll be slower than some, and faster than others. But it's not a competition, and to treat it as one is a cardinal sin (unless you really fast enough to win that is). Remember the old saying ... sportives are for people pretending to race, audax is for people pretending not to race.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Few years ago I rode the Transporter 100 Audax from Cardiff, a very low turnout approx 20 riders.
I had a puncture after only a couple of miles & didn't see another rider until the penultimate control !

One tip ..... make sure you ride at your pace !
Don't overcook it trying to keep up with riders who are faster than you ???

PpPete

Legendary Member
One tip ..... make sure you ride at your pace !
Don't overcook it trying to keep up with riders who are faster than you ???
Good advice.
Also, if a group you are with decides to "bounce" a control (=stamp card/get receipt and straight back on bike) think very carefully before doing the same. Chances are you might be better taking advantage of a sit-down and any food that's on offer.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There are three people on here that I have met on an Audax. Done three now, and always managed to hook up with a group. I always ask permission first, just to be polite.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tend to be lantern rouge on audaxes but always seem to meet up with someone to ride with :smile:

Really do make sure you don't go off too fast if it's your first ride of that distance as it's easy to blow up or cramp later on and then have to drag yourself to the finish. keep the water and food going in and remember that it is not a race. Whether you are stood outside the final control waiting for it to open or dashing in the door right on the cut-off (as AndrewBr, phantasmagoriana and I did on Saturday) you still get the same result. :smile:

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I am doing my first calendar event in a couple of weeks time. So far my rides have been perms so I've been on my own. I'm quite looking forward to some company, but more importantly I'm interested to see how I'll stack up against some seasoned audaxers lol

First rule of judging how you stack up with other riders, never judge a book by its covers. I have ridden events where the fittest looking Pinarello race-face looking guys blow up half way round. Whereas I know a 'usual suspect' who rides a machine that resembles a beast, and he does not give the immediate fast rider appearance that can manage a long distance on account of his age and his attire. In fact I have heard one or two racer-types scoff at his appearance, until mentioning that fact he rode a further 200km before and after the event. Appearances can be deceiving, he is a monster.

As above, its not about speed its all about pace. Learn to ride at your most efficient speed. The best audax riders will average the same speed over the last 30km as the first 30km. The biggest problem you will face is setting off too fast and then finding yourself getting slower and slower as your distance increases.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
As above, its not about speed its all about pace. Learn to ride at your most efficient speed. The best audax riders will average the same speed over the last 30km as the first 30km. The biggest problem you will face is setting off too fast and then finding yourself getting slower and slower as your distance increases.

This is me ^ ^

I started my own thread about pacing myself better, definitely something for me to work on.

Mallory

The main thing that puts me off "Audax's" is all this brevet card, control gate and info questions.

I'm tempted to tag along to the "Surburban Breakout 100km" on July 7th.

Would i be looked down upon if i didn't fill in the brevet card??

frank9755

Cyclist
No, some people don't bother. Especially if there are lots of info controls, which can be a faff and can break your ride up when you don't want them to.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
There are people that cant be bothered to take notes etc and don't bother as others say. You will also find that some organisers offer a No-validation option because they are aware that people want to get on with their ride. The only thing in this case is the ride won't be validated by Audax UK and you wont appear in the list of official finishers.
A club close to me Beacon Roads Cycling Club (West Midlands) run regular audaxes that I have done, and if you go to their site and check the Audax section out you will see this information.

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/index.html

yello

I'm tempted to tag along to the "Surburban Breakout 100km" on July 7th. Would i be looked down upon if i didn't fill in the brevet card??

No, not at all. It's up to you. From memory, the Suburban Breakout only has the one control, at the turn point in Cottered, and a couple of control questions - and you could remember those to fill in at the finish.

Having run the Cottered control myself one year, I would say that it is a bit suspicious if someone doesn't get their card stamped but helps themselves to food!

eck

Über Member
^^^ What yello said. I'm not suggesting for a second that this even occurred to you but you shouldn't just "tag along" without entering the event. And even if you don't bother with a card, you should check in with the organiser at the finish. Only sayin', like.

Mallory

I would obviously pay the Audax fee for the event and take along proof of that. Plus I only eat/drink my own stuff so people thinking I'm nicking free food wouldn't be an issue ;)

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, there's another thread about guys who do that (don't pay but nick the food)!
And we never did find out which club they were from, so all of us are still under suspicion!

Top Bottom