Joining an audax on your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
If you sign up to an audax without knowing anyone else who's doing it, do you end up feeling like a nobby no-mates while everyone else rides with their buddies, or do groups tend to form up and mix quite freely? Does everyone else go on them with their mates?

Not done an audax before, but there's one starting nearby in a few weeks and it would seem rude not to do it - but just don't know anyone else who's interested (yet).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, it's all very friendly.
Of course you do have your 'lonely' types who like to do their own thing.
But just do the ride and chat to who ever is about.

Steve H

Large Member
Audax are much more informal than sportives. Generally numbers are a lot less - circa 50 - 100 on the ones I've done.

You get a real mixture of people. Generally some that come with mates or from local clubs and quite a few who ride alone.

They are generally pretty friendly, but you can end up riding on your own if your speed is different to others.

No worries about looking like billy-no-mates though as quite a few choose this approach to the ride. You won't stand out like this. If you are polite and say hello, people don't generally mind you tagging along with groups.

yello

Groups do form, people do chat.... but don't assume everyone will. Some folk do like to ride on their own and might not be chatty. Also, just because people are friends and arrive together, they won't necessarily ride together. People have different paces and approaches to a ride.

There's no problem turning up on your own though. If you want to ride with someone then chances are that will happen. You'll fall into pace with someone, maybe ride with them for a bit before you parting company, or you might even stick with them for the rest of the ride. There's no rules about it and it all happens quite naturally and seamlessly.

Don't be put out if someone doesn't talk though, or makes it clear they don't want to ride with you. It can happen, I'd be lying if I said it didn't, but don't take it personally. As I said, some like to ride alone. Equally, don't be concerned if someone passes you either without word or just a token word. Again, it's in the order of things.

Audax is primarily about you getting yourself around the course, it's not speed-dating or a make-a-friend event, but people do enjoy it and do chat. In fact, most do. So, yes, just roll up and do it. :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Plus one to everything Yello says, sums up my experience as well.

With 5000 UK members theres going to be a few grumpy sods that wont even return a good morning but the vast majority seem to be sociable types who wont judge you by the cost of your bike or for not having the latest cycle kit or whatever.

And theres usually cake involved.:thumbsup:

Get your name down now rob,some events have limited numbers or cut off dates for signing on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have ridden local audax events by myself, but not more distant ones because I have always been given lifts to them by people who agree to do the rides with me.

Since joining CycleChat, I have usually had the company of one or more other forum members.

Informal 'alliances' often form out on the road when you get talking to someone that you get on with who likes a similar pace as you. I fixed a rider's broken chain once and he insisted on buying me lunch and then stayed with me for the remainder of the ride. He spotted me at the start of the following year's event, and came over to say that he'd like to do the ride with me again.

I would say that unless you are riding at maximum speed so nobody else can keep up with you, or the event is unpopular so there are many other people to ride with, you should be able to find someone to ride with if you want to.

If you have the nerve to do it, why not just hold up a big piece of card at event HQ before the start with something like this written on it: "Hi - I'm Rob and will be averaging about 18 kph [insert your own target speed there]. If you would like to ride with me, come and say hello!"

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Sign up because it won't cost you much compared to a sportive, go along and enjoy yourself. As others have said it is just a reflection of a cross section of life or work, you will get friendly people, miserable gits, fast groups, slow groups, individuals and hopefully some friendly souls that you can ride with.
I have done several, and ended up with groups, lost them at controls and either caught back up or had them catch back up with me and even never seen them again. You do need to be more on the ball with the directions etc as they are not sign posted like sportives, so if you are on your own you need to know where you are.
Pick a shorter distance one for starters, go along and I bet you will be back for another go saying you had a good day in great company :smile:

To my mind it is like a forum ride without the obligation of waiting for or being waited for, but still with the sociable cafe stops inbetween.

avsd

Guru
Little down side if it is local If it turns out not to be enjoyable you can always cut out and head for home local cafe. As has been said above most Audax are friendly affairs.

Ningishzidda

Little down side if it is local If it turns out not to be enjoyable you can always cut out and head for home local cafe. As has been said above most Audax are friendly affairs.

If it turns into a nightmare and you clear off home, make sure you phone the Organiser to inform him you are a DNF. If he doesn't hear from you, they won't send out a search party, but they get worried cus some riders have hit hedges.

Top Bottom