Joy of riding a Sportive Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Which bike fit is scientifically correct, seeing as most of the major systems contradict their rivals often in some quite fundamental ways? It's the cycling equivalent of homeopathy.

Of course some homeopathy works, you just have to find the right one.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Interesting, what is your bike? make and model please?

A few race bikes, but first sportive was Synapse. Looking for another sportive, leaning towards Roubaix. Someone suggested a sportive from Planet X. Might consider a customised sportive from Ribble but concerned about the level of service mentioned in the forum.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A bike fit is about extracting money from customers.
eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
.....this is gonna be good

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Depends on how many hours you intend riding in one day.

A bike thjats comfortable and efficient for 30 miles may be an instrument of torture after 130 miles not allways though. choice of a road bike is a very individual thing where there are many more factors than just your body measurements.

screenman

Legendary Member
Depends on how many hours you intend riding in one day.

A bike thjats comfortable and efficient for 30 miles may be an instrument of torture after 130 miles not allways though. choice of a road bike is a very individual thing where there are many more factors than just your body measurements.

In a proper bike fit your flexibility should be measured as well as body one's.

Banjo

In a proper bike fit your flexibility should be measured as well as body one's.
Bike shops should take more responsibility IMHO .Loads of people out there riding poorly fitted bikes .Usual thing seems to be bikes too small and racing geometrty for pootling round country lanes etc.

Few people are going to buy a £500 bike then spend £100 extra on a proffesional bike fit.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Bike shops should take more responsibility IMHO .Loads of people out there riding poorly fitted bikes .Usual thing seems to be bikes too small and racing geometrty for pootling round country lanes etc.

But that is what some like me want, there are so many different aspects of cycling, the manufacturer gives us choices.

I do agree though a lot of shops can give poor service, and a lot of companies selling bikes never even see their customers.

Banjo

But that is what some like me want, there are so many different aspects of cycling, the manufacturer gives us choices.

I do agree though a lot of shops can give poor service, and a lot of companies selling bikes never even see their customers.

Thats exactly my point , An awful lot of bike shops will sell you anything not taking into account what you intend using it for. Of course if you buy on line then its down to you to do your homework.

When I first began riding drop bars, had this funny feeling that it was not all that right, at least for me...
Not sure how the sportive came about...
And its all in the geometry.
There's nothing new or magical about 'sportive' bikes, it's just a question of buying a bike you can achieve a good fit with and is suitable for the type of riding you want to use it for. And no it isn't just all about geometry, it's also about frame material, wheels, tyres, bars, stem, saddle, crank length and not least how you set it all up.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I think often it is not the bike but the body that is the problem. A lot of people are too inflexible and have no stretching regimes.
There's nothing new or magical about 'sportive' bikes, it's just a question of buying a bike you can achieve a good fit with and is suitable for the type of riding you want to use it for. And no it isn't just all about geometry, it's also about frame material, wheels, tyres, bars, stem, saddle, crank length and not least how you set it all up.

What in your opinion are "sportive" suitable for and what brand and model are stand-outs?

Top Bottom