Joy of riding a Sportive Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
That's the placebo effect - which is a real and valuable thing. Now I think of it, that's probably a huge factor with bike fits, too.

Where did you have yours done?

screenman

Legendary Member
How do you know something does not work until you have tried it? That is one of the problems when talking about things like this, a lot of the negatives come from people with no real life experiences of the subject.

Reactions: gbb
What in your opinion are "sportive" suitable for and what brand and model are stand-outs?
Don't start with the bike, start with budget, what you want to use it for and how it fits. If it happens that the bike that meets those criteria is marketed as a 'sportive' model then so be it.
On the subject of professional fitting, I imagine the quality varies as much as that of homeopathy, and some riders would benefit and some not. I've ridden for over 30 years without one but a few years ago got measured up on a rig for my first ever made to measure frame and the resulting bike, a tandem in fact, is a delight to ride.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Don't start with the bike, start with budget, what you want to use it for and how it fits. If it happens that the bike that meets those criteria is marketed as a 'sportive' model then so be it.
On the subject of professional fitting, I imagine the quality varies as much as that of homeopathy, and some riders would benefit and some not. I've ridden for over 30 years without one but a few years ago got measured up on a rig for my first ever made to measure frame and the resulting bike, a tandem in fact, is a delight to ride.

Maybe I will repeat my question. "What in your opinion are "sportive" suitable for and what brand and model are stand-outs?"

Maybe I will repeat my question. "What in your opinion are "sportive" suitable for and what brand and model are stand-outs?"
Sportive bikes as I understand them are racing bikes but with a more relaxed fit and a more forgiving ride, suitable for those looking for a sporty ride but not too sporty. I'm also conscious that many traditional racing bikes would also provide the same.

I might had that the only sportive of note that I've ever done was 21 years ago, 160km around the Alps, the Galibier, Telegraph, Croix de Fer. No such thing as a 'sportive' bike in those days, I rode it on my Mercian 531 steel racing bike, suited perfectly apart from the gearing, the CdF was a bit of a struggle on 39x25.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No emotes as on a tablet.
Gets coffee and cake and awaits the crossfire from either side.
I think that for some a bike fit can be beneficial but you can make most bikes do what you want with tweaking of fit but I'm open to constructive discussion and reasoning.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
A bike fit is about extracting money from customers.
Which bike fit is scientifically correct, seeing as most of the major systems contradict their rivals often in some quite fundamental ways? It's the cycling equivalent of homeopathy.

Just because plenty of companies have jumped on the bike fit bandwagon, it doesn't mean that there aren't companies doing it correctly. The chap I use is a legend and his method is certainly not just a vehicle for extracting money

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The bike fit I use was done by Adrian Timmis. I am sure most of us into the sporting side of cycling will know of him.
I used to to tai chi,I think the teacher was his son and I have ridden past the shop a few times but I have not had a fit as £200 is too steep for me and I emailed regarding a fit without foot beds and never heard anything.

vickster

Legendary Member
How far are you planning on riding, not that it really matters? You need a bike that is comfortable for you and appeals to your aesthetic sense. Pros ride 100s of miles on race bikes, people do sportives on mountain bikes, BMXs and everything else

I doubt I could ride much more than 100 miles in a day but that's nothing to do with the bike. I have two at least that would be quite capable of going further with someone else riding them!

What's wrong with the bikes that you have currently?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just to go a smidge off topic ,sort of..I was a decent golfer until I had lessons.lessons ruined my game totally..
now ive spent a fair bit of time using guides and info on forums to get my road bike to fit so I dont hurt.

its still not comfy ,neck ,shoulders ,arms ,wrists etc all ache.but I start hurting after an hour so its comfy for 15miles then by 25 im in pain.
im temted to try a £150 bike fit but im thinking it may have the same result as the golf lessons.
changing what feels right to me ?
How many riders find it to be benificial? As I do more mtb than road maybe its more time on the road bike I need.
anyone tried greenwheel cycles peterborough for fitting?

Top Bottom