July 2013 Liverpool/Chester 90 mile ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Powely

Just wondering if anyone is planning to do this ride this summer. I will be either doing the 50 mile or the 90 mile. Just not sure if I can maintain the speed to do the 90 miles in the allocated 7 hours. The furthest I have rode is 50 miles (in the rain for 25) and whilst it wasn't easy I didn't find it excruciating. I would like the 90 mile target for something to train for however. Suppose I am looking to see if more experienced riders feel a jump from 50 to 90 miles by July is too much?

http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/entrysystem/EventDetails.aspx?id=32

Howard Walker

Just wondering if anyone is planning to do this ride this summer. I will be either doing the 50 mile or the 90 mile. Just not sure if I can maintain the speed to do the 90 miles in the allocated 7 hours. The furthest I have rode is 50 miles (in the rain for 25) and whilst it wasn't easy I didn't find it excruciating. I would like the 90 mile target for something to train for however. Suppose I am looking to see if more experienced riders feel a jump from 50 to 90 miles by July is too much?

http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/entrysystem/EventDetails.aspx?id=32
Hi mate, you have plenty of time to train for it and entering a ride you know is going to be a challenge will give you a nice incentive.
I am assuming you have a road bike cos 90 miles on a mountain bike is a different proposition altogether.
Do the training and be prepared to suffer on the day and when you cross the line you will quite rightly fee very proud of yourself.
Good luck.
Howie

Psyklon

Hi Powley, you should be fine, if as Howard said, you are on a road bike! I only got my first roadie last May after regularly doing 50+ miles on my hybrid. Once I got used to the clipless pedals, I did my first 60 mile ride so I decided to attempt the 90 mile LCL. I went out and did a 75 mile ride the week before the event and I just kept thinking to myself "It's only an extra 15 miles!" I completed the 90 miles in 5 hours 10 mins and felt as though I could have gone much further. I still haven't completed my maiden century yet but will do this year. Just keep going out and increasing the miles and by July you'll be ready!!! Good Luck mate!

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Missed this last year, really going to try and make it this year, but its one week after Manchesters so might have to buy a certain person a big bunch of flowers to get in the good books :B)

Howard Walker

I stopped doing the Chester Liverpool ride a few years back as it went through a farmers yard at one point and down a silly pathway with a gate.
Is this still the case.

dodgy

I stopped doing the Chester Liverpool ride a few years back as it went through a farmers yard at one point and down a silly pathway with a gate.
Is this still the case.

That piece of road/track is called 'the missing link' around these parts, yes it can get a bit claggy but so what! The 'silly pathway with a gate' runs alongside the railway and is a perfectly good way of threading down the Wirral. Both of these tracks are part of NCN56 and I ride them both several times a week. I really would not use it as justification not to do an entire ride, up to you though.

I personally won't be entering, oh and don't be surprised to find the 90 mile distance more like 84 miles if it's like recent LCL events.

Howard Walker

Thanks dodgy,
It was full of cow shoot last time I done it which is obviously not the end of the world, just sooner not ride through cow shoot.

Howard Walker

88.5 mile according to my GPS last year!
Well done Psyklon, 5 hrs 10 mins was a great effort considering that was the first time you had covered that distance.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I was also concerned about the time limit for the tunnel but needn't have been. Got round a little slower than Pysklon i think with loads of time to spare. What worried me was riding in a group if any of us punctured we all stop and it wouldn't take many of those to risk the time limit.
Always the ferry back tho :laugh:

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Cheers guys. Just what I needed to hear. Yeah I'll be on a road bike (not sure which yet as I'm looking to buy a new one by then), but maybe training on a Hybrid (for the rainier days) as well as the Virtuoso.

I'd be very surprised if I managed a time of anywhere near 5 hours. Probably be lucky to do it in the allocated 7 but I'll complete it nonetheless if I start it. Even if I have to drag myself and the bike over the line.

I think I've been through the farmers yard before when doing diverting from the Wirral Way and didn't find it so bad. Is this the one near Badgers Rake Lane?

Thanks again for the encouragement, really looking forward to doing it now.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Cheers guys. Just what I needed to hear. Yeah I'll be on a road bike (not sure which yet as I'm looking to buy a new one by then), but maybe training on a Hybrid (for the rainier days) as well as the Virtuoso.

I'd be very surprised if I managed a time of anywhere near 5 hours. Probably be lucky to do it in the allocated 7 but I'll complete it nonetheless if I start it. Even if I have to drag myself and the bike over the line.

I think I've been through the farmers yard before when doing diverting from the Wirral Way and didn't find it so bad. Is this the one near Badgers Rake Lane?

Thanks again for the encouragement, really looking forward to doing it now.
The farm bit isn't nearly as bad as you may think. The only bad bit for me is the queue getting through a gate which probably isnt that long but has you looking at the watch nonetheless.

Top Bottom