July 2013 Liverpool/Chester 90 mile ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I have taken the plunge and booked onto the 50 mile (liverpool to chester return). Still on a hybrid at the mo, but will have a cx with road tyres in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.
You will be fine on a hybrid. see plenty of those on the 50 miler. Have you thought about parking? I'm in Warrington myself and park opposite the tunnel in the multi story. Dead handy.

chqshaitan

Guru
You will be fine on a hybrid. see plenty of those on the 50 miler. Have you thought about parking? I'm in Warrington myself and park opposite the tunnel in the multi story. Dead handy.

AH great to know about the hybrids, i hadn't thought as far as parking :smile:, are you doing this particular ride?

aces_up1504

I will doing the 50 i think with the B-i-L

I will probably get the train to Lime street if its running early enough

David_widnes

Veteran
this ride was my first organised group ride last July i completed the 100 mile ride on my Specialized Sirrus well when you add the ride there and back home to Widnes it totalled 135 miles.
Found the 100 route was ok for a hybrid but i have signed up again for this year and will be using my Trek roadie.
The ride itself was well supported with plenty of marshals on the route and i found that i was never short of a wheel to follow which dragged my along nicely.

chqshaitan

Guru
is the route particularly hilly?

billy1561

BB wrecker
My garmin had last years total climb at 859m which over 90 miles is pretty flat imo. Personally i found the hilliest bit was at the start as you come out of the tunnel for a few miles and then the last climb out of the tunnel.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

So. I've actually signed up for the 100 mile now....just not sure I'm capable of it. 7 weeks of training to go yet. Going to try increasing miles week by week. I am only averaging 13 -14mph though, so think I may miss the tunnel closure!!! :/ Need training tips if anyone wishes to help?

chqshaitan

Guru
nice one bud, i aint cycled for about 6 weeks for various reasons so i need to get my butt back in gear or the 50 miler will be a challenge. I am back to commuting to and from work at the end of this week, also booked some sky rides.

I am averaging around the same as yourself speed wise, but i got a new bike a few weeks which i have not used in anger so hopefully that will give me a higher mpg as it has different gearing than my hybrid

Mello

Put a few extra miles in between now and the event and you will have no problem completing it. Just keep to your own steady pace. Dont try and race the crowd or start off at too fast a pace. Make sure your bike is well maintained and that you drink and eat at regular intervals. Just enjoy it!

matthat

Über Member
I'm doing the 100 and it would be good to say hello to some people from here!! For parking you could park on the main rd near brunswick station then peddle into to town!! Another mile on 100 won't hurt will it!! I'll be doing 6 in and 6 home after!!

Top Bottom