July 2013 Liverpool/Chester 90 mile ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adb2000

Regular
Hi I have been cycling for less than a year and have decided to go for the 90 mile challenge (50 seemed too easy) but now wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. Prior to Christmas I had managed to do a couple of 60+ miles. But after a bit of a break I am struggling to get back to that. I am sure if I can get more training in I can get back to where I was but will I be able to get to the 90 mile target by July?
My biggest concern is my bike. It is a 25 year old mountain bike, with smooth tyres(that was a big improvement). Do I definitely need to get a road bike as money is short at the moment? Any advice greatly received. Thanks

billy1561

BB wrecker
Hi I have been cycling for less than a year and have decided to go for the 90 mile challenge (50 seemed too easy) but now wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. Prior to Christmas I had managed to do a couple of 60+ miles. But after a bit of a break I am struggling to get back to that. I am sure if I can get more training in I can get back to where I was but will I be able to get to the 90 mile target by July?
My biggest concern is my bike. It is a 25 year old mountain bike, with smooth tyres(that was a big improvement). Do I definitely need to get a road bike as money is short at the moment? Any advice greatly received. Thanks
Plenty of time to train for it.
Regarding your bike - if its well maintained and has slick tyres on it then yes its do-able but would obviously be easier on a thin tyred roadie.
You need to complete the 90 in 6 hours before they close the tunnel which is 15mph av speed. BUT, that includes stops. If you're happy enough with your bike then get some 50-60 mile rides in prior and on the day 90 will be more than achievable. Riding in a big group is much easier than alone. Also in your favour is the majority of the route is flat so its easier to maintain a decent pace throughout.
Good luck!

geo

Just be aware that if you dont complete in the allocated time you wont be able to cycle back through the tunnel and will have to take the train or ferry

Mello

I did it with a freind a few years back, he was fitter and younger than me but he was on a mountain bike and I was on a road bike and we were only doing the 60 miler. He quit just after leaving Chester, his knees where buggered!

billy1561

BB wrecker
Pennine events who run this are guilty of some ambiguity in the email they sent me.
The longer ride (last year 90 miles) is listed as 90, 96 and 100 miles depending which bit you read! C'mon how hard can it be to get this right? This event is in its 20th year so not like its new to them...
In truth the distance whatever it is will be the one i attempt, but i dislike the vagueness of it. Not too professional.

lejogger

Guru

I completed LEJOG on an old slicked up MTB doing 100 miles a day. 120 even from Penrith to Glasgow. I'd also only been cycling for less than a year at that point.

If it's well maintained and you're fit enough the bike won't matter. It's obviously going to be easier on a road bike but you're more of a hardass if you complete it on that! :smile:

I had the same fitness dip in Jan after a couple of months less regular activity. Put together a good string of commutes over the past couple of months and it's right back up again.
You have plenty of time.

adb2000

Regular
Cheers for the replies, they have given me the enthusiasm to push on, especially as it is now being advertised as 100 miles. Think it is time to start saving up, and hope I'll have the money in time for July. Won't do any harm training on the old bike, as its got to be easier if I swap over nearer the time. Got the week off, so will push on and try and get a few 50 milers under my belt. Shame its not the same weather as last year. Also need to start thinking of what to aim for as there is so much out there. Thanks again. Glad I found this forum I've found a lot of useful and interesting advice already.

matthat

Über Member
Its a cracking forum I've only been on it a couple of months but have read so much interesting stuff! I'm doing c2c in august on mtb but I'm hoping to do Liverpool Chester 100 miler on my new rd bike as I've never done a century ride!! I managed a 55 mile ride last week without to much training so I'm hoping the century will come easily enough after a summer of getting out.

Mello

Silverstone 24 hour, looks really good. we have a guy in my club that does 12 and 24 hour TT's. But 24 hours in the saddle....dont know if I could face that. The entry fees are a bit high too! £200 for the "pleasure"

chqshaitan

Guru
I have taken the plunge and booked onto the 50 mile (liverpool to chester return). Still on a hybrid at the mo, but will have a cx with road tyres in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom