Jumping Red Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tynan said:
exactly re dumping, I go round the rather large Green Man roundabout of late, there's what looks like a rather good underpass to a cycle roundabout in the centre, a squint at google maps suggest that were i to take it it would leave me on the wrong side of the road for my exit, presumably to use the ped crossing to then get onto the right side of the road

Ah but the local council no doubt point to it as a major contribution for the safety of cyclists.

cannondale boy

Über Member
What was the question again?

MessenJah

Rider
Kaipaith said:
No
Yes
Compulsory if it is a stop line, I believe.
That cycle lane actually has a 'give way' line at the end of it (the two thick, broken lines) rather than a stop line...

rootes

got to say i don't like cyclists jumping red lights... don't mind couriers doing it so much but commuters should not...

even worse are those that stop but then get bored waiting for the lights to change and the go on red..

the other day between waterloo and liverpool street I overtook the same guy 6 times because at each red light I stopped where he sailed through.

there could of course be many junctions where it would ok for cyclist to proceed and stop cars - but these need to be established and designed that way..

go to admit that many red lights ar ebloody annoying - but then theys are the rules of the road an all that

tomfoolery

Hmm. I know this one well from my commute. I am a fairly obsessive red-light-obeyer, but this one beats me. It takes forever.

I usually ride over the first ped/cycle crossing, up to the cycle button, but then just cross when the traffic is free without pressing the button. Sometimes I go half way and shelter next to the wide island in the middle, before going the rest of the way.

Perhaps I should do what I do on the way in, and come down the parallel street before/after (Lower Essex St?) and then just try and do a right at the bottom. That's always a bit of a mare though.

And don't even start me on the cars going straight over the ring road, by the mosque, WHERE YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO GO STRAIGHT ON UNLESS YOU ARE A BUS OR TAXI. (Sorry). Being outraged that I then have to cross onto the right-hand side of the road to get back on the cycle path is just adding (risk of) injury to insult.

tomfoolery

There's been a campaign for some time to get a camera at those lights. And the rumours suggest that it has been successful.

Fantastic! I'd feel victorious, if I'd ever done anything about it, rather than just moan about it at the time but then forget about it at home.

If they don't put a camera there I've half a mind to stand there one day in a peaked cap with a hi-viz top on (i.e. I'm on Official business) with a clipboard and camera. Maybe a sign saying Traffic Survey. Nothing illegal in that (actually I'd probably be arrested under the Terrorism Act, even if I could be bothered to do it).

jezhiggins

tomfoolery said:
If they don't put a camera there I've half a mind to stand there one day in a peaked cap with a hi-viz top on (i.e. I'm on Official business) with a clipboard and camera.

I've often thought of doing that there myself. Want to take shifts? :smile:

hackbike 6

Traffic Lights are so stupid they have the intelligence of a Tory/Labour* MP.

*=Delete as appropriate.

Top Bottom