Jumpy legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've been riding a fair bit of late. Some long rides and some short fast, some hills.

Bit of everything really.

I ride between 140 and 200 miles a week.

Recently I've developed Jumpy legs. They start late at night and can happily keep me up all night. Its as if my legs wont rest, I can feel a discomfort building up in them over 10 minutes or so and then I have to tighten my muscles (or they twitch themselves) to dispel the discomfort.

Only happens a few nights a month, but is a real hassle.

any solutions?

siadwell

Guru
My dad suffered from something similar: sitting there fighting an irresistible twitching within his legs. He went to the doc who told him it was Restless Legs Syndrome. Turns out it was actually a symptom of renal failure, so I hope yours has another cause!

Trail Child

I have the same thing when I'm doing some heavy riding or running. Luckily, it wasn't restless leg syndrome and it was temporary. I just incorporated more rest days and made sure I was consuming more foods with electrolytes in them and it went away pretty fast. I hope it's the same thing for you.

Drago

Legendary Member
My stepdad it was an early sign of heart problems. You're probably fine, but this can be a harbinger of several serious illnesses so I'd visit the quack to be sure.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I get it too if I've been pushing really hard on hills. Lasts for a few days then goes. Go see your GP to check the main stuff, but it could be that you need a decent rest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have had "restless leg symptom" since primary school, it ****es other people off more that it ****es me off!

Same here. Drives the wife nuts, never mind me. Try to settle in bed, then the nerves fire. Can't say what causes it or makes it better. We've got a couple of chairs with a built in massager that can help.

I am worse when it's hot, so find putting my feet in a bowl of cold water for fifteen minutes before bed helps as it numbs the nerves.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
thanks guys (and gals).

it only seems to happen a few days after a big ride...or a long week on continuous riding. It goes away with rest and only lasts one night. I suspect it is ride related so wont jump to any nasty conclusions. But I shall keep an eye on it.

I also kind of suspected de-hydration or elctro-imbalace so shall watch that too

just in case.

MichaelO

Veteran
About 70-80% of the time, eating a banana can get rid of the twitching. Works when you get a twitchy eye too (either from tiredness or stress).

Works for me - and ensures I'm not kicked out of bed by the wife!

Top Bottom