Just a word of caution!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Me and my friend went out for a short ride this Saturday in the rain he met me at work and off we went, was a little 20 miler although it rained constantly it was pestilently warm.

A few times during the ride we went through mud that had come off farmers fields and thought nothing of it, little did we know!

On the Sunday that's when it started I was struck down with a fowl stomach bug, although I was never sick I couldn't hold anything down and it absolutely knocked me for six. I've since found out that my mate also had the same symptoms (apart from he's been sick as well), I thought this was strange as we didn't share any food/water and he pulled up and we went we didn't even shake hands (how rude).

We've now put it down to the mud from the fields splashing up onto our water bottles as that's the only thing where we both could have come into contact with the bug and a few weeks ago the farmers did a big muck spread.

I thought cycling was suppose to be good for you!

So just be careful when drinking out of your bottle after a wet muddy ride, its not nice at all!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
(when I clicked 'like' I meant thanks for the advice, not that I liked the fact you got a stomach bug!!)

Linford

Well there are certainly some foul bugs in slurry....I didn't think of that, and my training ride passes through a farm yard
We used to keep our horses on a beef cattle farmyard, and they were right next to the pens we had on the yard when our horses were kept in, so I know where you are coming from.

Sorry to see you are suffering, but glad you could share the info.

screenman

Legendary Member
Put a positive on it, think of it as a way to make hills easier due to weight loss.

A good tip though and one reason why I use bottles with a cover, lots of cows around here use the roads and although quite sweet to taste I am sure liquid manure is not all that good for you.

Hoping you a quick recovery with no long term effects.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Put a positive on it, think of it as a way to make hills easier due to weight loss.

A good tip though and one reason why I use bottles with a cover, lots of cows around here use the roads and although quite sweet to taste I am sure liquid manure is not all that good for you.

Hoping you a quick recovery with no long term effects.
xx(

I ride in cow country - S Cheshire and N Shropshire - in the summer and autumn the cows cross the roads for milking twice a day, and the roads can be really mucky with cowshhhhhh.

I'm very careful with making sure the bottle top is clean before I take a drink - that stuff goes everywhere! Seems I'm right to - fortunately I've never been stricken!

Yet............

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
The last couple of years I have been absolutely fine but locally here in Kent the farmers do this once a year much spread that absolutely reeks, i'm guessing my timing was just off this year!

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
@Leodis you have a point I did have them last year on my old bike but they don't fit the new one as hardly no clearance (Crud MK2)

Candaules

I raised this issue a while ago, after reading a news story about MTBers getting E Coli (or it might have been Salmonella) after a muddy ride. Some of the replies (along the lines of 'health & safety gone mad') dismissed my fears as wimpish.
Your experience shows that the risks are real, though.

Top Bottom