just a word of warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Horrible! Best wishes to your Dad and hope he gets over his injuries without too much pain, that's the main thing!

I am not all that keen on visiting Portugal, have never been there and don't plan to. Many years ago, my sister and brother-in-law experienced a nasty and violent robbery while on holiday there. As they were walking along a street a car drew alongside ostensibly to ask them directions. A passenger then grabbed a holdall which was slung across my sister's shoulder, then the car drove off, dragging her along for a short distance until the strap broke. She was bruised and shaken but no other injuries luckily. The police recovered their passports which were later thrown from the car, but not the other possessions nor was anyone caught. :becool:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
661-Pete said:
I am not all that keen on visiting Portugal, have never been there and don't plan to.

Not to take away from your experience, or that of the original poster, both unfortunate and very horrible, but I love Portugal... not very fair to tar a whole country on the basis of present experience, IMHO. I've always found it a very friendly place, with a lot of respect given to cyclists. You get bad eggs everywhere, and those mentioned have been unfortunate, to say the least.

Fnaar said:
Not to take away from your experience, or that of the original poster, both unfortunate and very horrible, but I love Portugal... not very fair to tar a whole country on the basis of present experience, IMHO. I've always found it a very friendly place, with a lot of respect given to cyclists. You get bad eggs everywhere, and those mentioned have been unfortunate, to say the least.
That's fair comment, OK.

Shaun

Founder
Sad news indeed. Hope he gets well soon, and I'm sure your presence will give your mum some comfort.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Crackle said:
Of course, it's an instinctive reaction.

My Dad had the same instinctive reaction when someone stole my Mum's handbag in Spain a few years back and ended up with a broken collarbone or something... it took quite a long time to recover and messed up his golf.

I've even done something similar but without bad consequences ... on a windy day my 5 year old's umbrella blew away ... off up the road I start running to catch it... with the 5 year old, running out into the road ... caught it and then realised I had left a 3 year old back 100 m away at the bus stop on her own!

I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
That's horrible. ;) Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and that the authorities catch the scumbags. :evil:

But only after they've contracted syphillis, pubic lice and smallpox.

All the best to your Dad, and to your Mum, who must be in a bit of a state.

Randochap

Senior hunter
This is terrible! I'm so sorry to hear this.

I gave chase to a bike thief once in my van. He'd nicked someone's bike from outside a nearby garage.

I drove up almost on the back wheel and he dove off the bike onto his face. When the owner turned up, he thought I was part of the operation!

I wouldn't do this today; too many of these lowlifes have guns.

Hope he recovers fully soon mate, sorry to hear that.
If you do ever give chase to thieves like these, and please rest assured I'm not advocating the following, but you have to be prepared to go into battle with them to keep what's yours. Thisnking you're going to catch them up, say "unhand my property you scoundrel!" and them reply "It's a fair cop, you've got me bang to rights, I've seen the error of me ways" etc, is not going to happen.
Me? Dunno what I'd do, the aforementioned instinct to chase would probably kick in, and I'd end up injured or worse.

Top Bottom