just aquired my 2nd bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotty110788

shogun.jpg

my Dad purchased the new carrera and has give me this one, he has had it about 10 year and it has hardly been out, looks like its just been built up lol, only thing that was wrong was bearings in front steering tube, they were that rusted that you couldn't even steer 10 degrees. Gonna upgrade few things on it such as tires, brakes etc... weighs a tonne like but will come in handy for when the weather ain't right for my hybrid. one question, the back suspension has never worked since he got it, so stiff no matter how much it got adjusted, is it possible to buy new springs to actual make it a dual suspension :blush: thanks.

OP
OP
scotty110788

scotty110788

sorry if in wrong section admin:B), even though this will be my winter commuter :thumbsup:

jim55

Guru
the spring is prop just seized ,,take it off and clean it up and most likely try and loosen the lockring ,it should move ,,if not you have a hardtail lol

OP
OP
scotty110788

scotty110788

the spring is prop just seized ,,take it off and clean it up and most likely try and loosen the lockring ,it should move ,,if not you have a hardtail lol

well it'll just be for bad weather and maybe bit off road so i wont mind it being a hardtail, just be nice to have it bouncing like a teenager at a rave :laugh:
by clean it up, u mean oil and that or soak in some sort of solution to loosen it up?

jim55

Guru
obv clean it up and make sure nothing obv is jamming it,try and loosen the lockring first while its still on the bike as they are gen quite tight ,,most have wee tabs on the lockring and the best way i found to loosen them was put the flat end of a screwdriver in the tabs and give it a tap round with a hammer ,,once its freed of gen a c spanner is all you need ,,its prob just seized through lack of use bit if the piston is scored and the seal is gubbed its gen just replace the unit if u want it working,,me ,,id clean it up hopefully loosen it and just use the bike as is

Top Bottom