Just been assaulted

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

+1 for having a Sportscam on the bike, Aside from recording incidents it could prevent them. I had an incident of an overtaking vehicle slow in front of me; me wondering what the hell they were playing at and then speeding away, possibly having seen the sportscam on the handlebars.
I'm not sure about a sportscam, but I am thinking can I get an aluminium or steel bicycle pump to hide one of these inside, no seriously answering violence with violence is not the answer, especially if you think you would come off worst.

Attachments

• Selection_187.jpg
    Selection_187.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
+1 for having a Sportscam on the bike, Aside from recording incidents it could prevent them. I had an incident of an overtaking vehicle slow in front of me; me wondering what the hell they were playing at and then speeding away, possibly having seen the sportscam on the handlebars.

I was once subject to a car driving alongside me whilst the passenger shouted abuse and made lewd gestures at me (genuinely no idea why, just for the hell of it I think).

I tapped my front light and yelled "You're on video" and they buggered off.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If no response a spud, up the exhaust of said van at some point in the distant future :whistle:
I've heard expanding foam is a lot harder to remove
Can confirm the effectiveness of a spud; did it to a mate once... was sufficient to stop him baiting me for his own amusement.

Expanding foam's got to be a lot more destructive and malicious tbh (warranted in this case IMO!) although a spud still has the potential to blow weak joints / corroded boxes. All that said, much as I love the idea of putting the boot into the maggot responsible, all this revolves around destruction and waste; which is less than ideal.

One of these days a cyclist is going go postal and the motoring public will have to take notice.
Yup, and what will happen - they'll be held up as an example by the establishment and publicly crucified.. since the only people who don't by default hate cyclists' guts for some unfathomable but deeply-rooted reason, is cyclists it seems.

It's the British way - we claim to love the underdog, when really it seems it's a national passtime to consistantly shoot on others to make ourselves feel superior.. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about a sportscam, but I am thinking can I get an aluminium or steel bicycle pump to hide one of these inside, no seriously answering violence with violence is not the answer, especially if you think you would come off worst.
I've often wondered about this. Tbh I don't fancy my chances as an exhausted Mr. Potatohead with matchstick arms versus some red-faced, emotionally-stunted sh*thouse... nothing so far seems to fit the bill as a plausible cycling accessory-cum-makeshift-weapon though, sadly.

An extendable baton could be a convenient self-defence weapon for a cyclist, except I believe they're classed as offensive weapons. Tbh if going to the trouble of modding a pump I think I'd just go the whole hog and stuff a 12" dagger inside it :tongue:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What a twollop !
Glad your ok as it could have been a lot worse , i think that a camera is being raised as an idea to record evidence that can corroborate your statement should such an event happen again rather than as a deterrent.Carrying a weapon could lead you into some legal grey areas should you need to use it

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What a twollop !
Glad your ok as it could have been a lot worse , i think that a camera is being raised as an idea to record evidence that can corroborate your statement should such an event happen again rather than as a deterrent.Carrying a weapon could lead you into some legal grey areas should you need to use it

Of course everyone only tends to think about preventative measures after the fact, but it's a good point that if said bellend is encountered again there's a chance of him having another go and catching him at it would be grand.

Tbh I think "legal grey areas" is putting it lightly regarding carrying weapons - anything deemed an "offensive weapon" would drop you right in it for the off, just for having it in your possession. Best you could hope for IMO is something of plausible value to the cyclist that could double-up as a self-defence too.. I (think I) still have a 4D cell Maglite in the car for this reason.

I've given this a reasonable amount of thought in the past as I sometimes feel very vulnerable when out on the bike; surprised that someone's not capitalised on this sentiment as they have in other areas - "tactical pens" for example.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The fact that this knuckle dragger is happy to give you his name, assuming it is his real name, makes me think he couldn't care less about the outcome of you contacting plod. He probably hopes they won't be interested in your complaint.
A lot of us seem to have had incidents of Cyclist-Hate but not to the point of being assaulted!
Here's hoping your injuries heal quickly and you get a result with plod (or a spud, filler foam, milk or a kipper)

Have you checked if the van is taxed etc?

classic33

Leg End Member
Of course everyone only tends to think about preventative measures after the fact, but it's a good point that if said bellend is encountered again there's a chance of him having another go and catching him at it would be grand.

Tbh I think "legal grey areas" is putting it lightly regarding carrying weapons - anything deemed an "offensive weapon" would drop you right in it for the off, just for having it in your possession. Best you could hope for IMO is something of plausible value to the cyclist that could double-up as a self-defence too.. I (think I) still have a 4D cell Maglite in the car for this reason.

I've given this a reasonable amount of thought in the past as I sometimes feel very vulnerable when out on the bike; surprised that someone's not capitalised on this sentiment as they have in other areas - "tactical pens" for example.
Tactical Pens

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-tactical-pen/

Glad to hear you're ok after a crap start to the day. In addition to talking to the police I'd file a complaint with the better business bureau, trading standards office, or local equivalent given they were driving a company van. Plus I would be naming and shaming that business through any and all avenues at my disposable. As I would assume a kick in the company wallet will have more impact than the slap on the wrist they'll get from plod.

Fastpedaller

We seem to have become a lawless society. Long story short, a dog chased me whilst I was riding, owners were 'ticked off' by Police and said it wouldn't happen again. 6 days later (and a mile away) it happened again. Police response was "I've seen them and they are nice people, they have invited you to meet the dog" I was pretty speechless, but resisted the urge to say "people on drugs probably seem nice - do you just let them off?". I got no positive vibes from the Police, despite saying "he could have knocked me off and severely injured me - more cost to NHS"
so my last comment was "to be where he was when he last chased me, he passed 2 farms - maybe I'll have a word with the farmers to see if they can shoot him?"
The public shouldn't have to resort to 'veiled threats' to get the Police to do their job. I suspect they may have contacted the owners again, because I've not seen the dog since in a couple of years.

Top Bottom