Just been assaulted

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Have you checked if the van is taxed etc?
No at the moment I don't have the Reg No, TBH nothing has ever happened to me like this before, close passes, bullying when a car is approaching the other way, should yield & doesn't, shouting & abuse, but no physical contact, so although I should have I didn't.

On the way back from the field tonight I was coming past the spot where is happened & one of their other vans was going the other way, that had only 1 headlight.

I have lived my life with a motto of he who runs away lives to run away another day, so although I joked about carrying an aluminium pump I never would as knowing my luck it would be taken off me & used against me. But having gone over it more in my head I should have done more with the bike than simply put it between us.

Once saw a TV cop programme where a young driver had a baseball bat on the backseat of the car, when asked what it was for he said protection, the cop asked him if he was sure, so he arrested him, the cop then said to the film crew if only he had said it was for a game of baseball with his mates in the park he wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Full fat,?

Stinks the worst once it’s gone off.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We seem to have become a lawless society. Long story short, a dog chased me whilst I was riding, owners were 'ticked off' by Police and said it wouldn't happen again. 6 days later (and a mile away) it happened again. Police response was "I've seen them and they are nice people, they have invited you to meet the dog" I was pretty speechless, but resisted the urge to say "people on drugs probably seem nice - do you just let them off?". I got no positive vibes from the Police, despite saying "he could have knocked me off and severely injured me - more cost to NHS"
so my last comment was "to be where he was when he last chased me, he passed 2 farms - maybe I'll have a word with the farmers to see if they can shoot him?"
The public shouldn't have to resort to 'veiled threats' to get the Police to do their job. I suspect they may have contacted the owners again, because I've not seen the dog since in a couple of years.

Maybe they followed your suggestion, and spoke to the Farmer?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
No at the moment I don't have the Reg No, TBH nothing has ever happened to me like this before, close passes, bullying when a car is approaching the other way, should yield & doesn't, shouting & abuse, but no physical contact, so although I should have I didn't.

On the way back from the field tonight I was coming past the spot where is happened & one of their other vans was going the other way, that had only 1 headlight.

I have lived my life with a motto of he who runs away lives to run away another day, so although I joked about carrying an aluminium pump I never would as knowing my luck it would be taken off me & used against me. But having gone over it more in my head I should have done more with the bike than simply put it between us.

Once saw a TV cop programme where a young driver had a baseball bat on the backseat of the car, when asked what it was for he said protection, the cop asked him if he was sure, so he arrested him, the cop then said to the film crew if only he had said it was for a game of baseball with his mates in the park he wouldn't have been able to do anything.

You should not blame or criticise yourself in any way over this incident. YOU did nothing wrong, the blame lies 100% with the violent thug who assaulted you.

The Police MAY do their job (can't be difficult if they have the Company Name of the van, if they can tear themselves away from Facebook for 5 minutes, they should be able to Google the Company address), we will have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear about the assault on you. Glad to hear you weren't badly hurt.

I take it you haven't encountered him before so changing your routine could put you into his usual travel time. Stick to your time routine but perhaps change your route occasionally.

Police action might be poor or not. You might be lucky with a result even if that's a talking to him and/or his employers. At least it let's him know you're not going to be pushed around.

Criminal damage is just that, criminal. Even if you get away with it you've become little better than him. A pathetic course of action best left to school kids not grown adults. Seriously any making such suggestions aren't helping the OP IMHO.

Tactical pens? Offensive weapons if used. You think coppers can't work out you're carrying a gerber or Smith and wesson tactical weapon pen? Even if you used a metal pen that's not sold as tactical it can be a weapon and get you into trouble I the wrong circumstances.

Do you know how easy it is to get into serious, life changing trouble just by defending yourself with what is classed as a weapon by the police and or the CPS? My martial arts instructor was travelling late one night on merseyrail train when he got mugged by a guy with a knife. Well he didn't because he disarmed the mugger braking his arm accidentally in the process. When he told the story to us he was genuine in that being accidental.

BTP turned up and arrested the mugger then the instructor. Later the mugger got a caution and the instructor got charged with assault. Being a close protection security and civilian guest instructor to various police forces he didn't want that obviously. It took a few months to get that far. So having business with Merseyside police he called his cont, he was only on the train after running a training session for them, so it got dropped into conversation. The officer went away and called the BTP officer or s contact he had there. It suddenly got dropped. Turned out the mugger was not known to BTP but the local coppers had a lot of dealings with him. That's why he'd moved his act onto trains! The instructor's contact just let the BTP know about him. After that they dropped things with the CPS decision based on this new intelligence.

Point being do wrong against someone who did wrong against you, it could be you that gets caught not them. You might be the easier case to prosecute than someone who's possibly been there a lot and knows how to make the case difficult!

Forgot to mention. My martial arts instructors all said carrying a weapon is asking for it to be used against you. Do you know how to use a tactical pen? How to stop someone defending against it and taking it off you? Do you know how to defend against it once you've lost it? How good a fighter are you? There's always someone better!

I've had some training with and against weapons from knives, sticks, staff to swords. Not sharp ones I might add as I never got close to black belt when training involves sharp knives!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

My prediction? You've wasted your time contacting the police. You'll need LOTS of luck if you think you'll get a successful outcome from this. LOTS of luck.
I'm not looking for an outcome as such, a mark on a card will do me so that if he does it again it will be taken into consideration, the next person may not come off as lightly as I have.

Mrs M

Guru
Riding up the housing estate to the field this morning, just before 7am, lights on the bike, a heard a car approaching & then it sounded it's horn, a white van then pulled around me & stood on the brakes, driver then opened the door & got out. I asked him what the issue was & he said something along the lines of "You blocking the f'ing road" At which point he took a swing at me, luckily I had the bike between us & managed to pull back so it wasn't much of a blow, but caused bleeding of the gum & inner cheek, he then fell onto the bike. I then took out my phone to which he said yeah go on take a picture my names Calvin, I didn't take a picture as he drove off I called 999.

Daft thing is it was a liveried van & I know the company, they operate out of a house further up the estate where presumably he was going, I've been to the field & done my chores & am now at home waiting for the Police to arrive, little more shaken than any physical damage.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience.
Best wishes xx

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm not looking for an outcome as such, a mark on a card will do me so that if he does it again it will be taken into consideration, the next person may not come off as lightly as I have.

Why waste your time making contact with them and going through all their 'procedural' testiculare then? They'll only let you down and disappoint you.

Gwylan

Veteran
+1 for having a Sportscam on the bike, Aside from recording incidents it could prevent them. I had an incident of an overtaking vehicle slow in front of me; me wondering what the hell they were playing at and then speeding away, possibly having seen the sportscam on the handlebars.

Generally not that bright. Maybe the big spanner in your hand was a deterrent?

Slick

Guru

I have a big mate who now suffers from Parkinsons, but he is as hard as nails and you can tell back in the day he would have been handful. He tells a similar story about being stopped by the police who found a baseball bat, but he told them he played for the Westerhailes Red Sox, which might mean nothing to you but it had me in stitches. Cracking big guy.

Top Bottom