Just been assaulted

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Maybe tell the police that your solicitor may also be in contact if you proceed with legal action against the bully?

Why?

Any action he trakes will be civil action, and nothing to do with the police. Telilng them his "solicitor will be in touch" isn't going to help at all in the UK.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just had a call from the Police, well a voicemail as it was from a withheld number which I won't answer, anyway they are apparently going to talk to the alleged attacker tomorrow, or at least the person who they think is the attacker.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just had a call from the Police, well a voicemail as it was from a withheld number which I won't answer, anyway they are apparently going to talk to the alleged attacker tomorrow, or at least the person who they think is the attacker.

Better late than never, I suppose, but, that has taken a long time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The Police have just been this morning, as I expected they are unable to take the assault to the CPS.

His version of events was he came up behind me, there was a car on the left, a car on the right & then another on the left, he felt I should have pulled over into the gap between the 2 cars on the left to let him past. He 'tooted' his horn, at which point I started to 'flag him off' and give him verbal, he admits to being very annoyed at this point, pulling along side, winding his window down & shouting at me, but at no point did he get out of the van & he did not assault me.

He has signed a declaration that they have spoken to him & that he needs to change his behaviour to cyclists, but as they advise this is a situation in the dark, with no witnesses there is little more they can do, I do know there is a lady who could disprove his version as she saw him out of the van, but you have to respect her if she does not want to get involved.

At least there is a Police record of the event & if he does something to somebody else then there is a pattern emerging.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Police have just been this morning, as I expected they are unable to take the assault to the CPS.

His version of events was he came up behind me, there was a car on the left, a car on the right & then another on the left, he felt I should have pulled over into the gap between the 2 cars on the left to let him past. He 'tooted' his horn, at which point I started to 'flag him off' and give him verbal, he admits to being very annoyed at this point, pulling along side, winding his window down & shouting at me, but at no point did he get out of the van & he did not assault me.

He has signed a declaration that they have spoken to him & that he needs to change his behaviour to cyclists, but as they advise this is a situation in the dark, with no witnesses there is little more they can do, I do know there is a lady who could disprove his version as she saw him out of the van, but you have to respect her if she does not want to get involved.

At least there is a Police record of the event & if he does something to somebody else then there is a pattern emerging.

I had something similar with a driver - it did get logged against the vehicle, and the police told me the "car" was known to them, so should they be able to pin something on him, these other incidents will come up.

Assuming you know where the van is, give it a few months and go and stick a spud up the exhaust, or let a tyre down (do not damage them).

I made a Police report some 11 years ago. The trouble and the steps they took to reach out to me to close the matter gave me a clear picture of what possibly goes on process wise. They spent at least 80% of their effort following some kind of bureaucratic non-investigative checklist on why they cannot proceed.

I put it down to prioritisation, lack of training, lack of resolve, lack of leadership and lack of resources. It wasted their time as well as mine. I learnt my lesson.

Most incidents do not have independent witnesses and no party that committed a crime or involved in violence is going to admit to someone who turns up at their door. In the old days, statements are taken, medical reports asked and matter goes to court whether veracity is determined by the courts.

Isn’t it surprise that crime across the UK is on the rise and I suspect many have given up reportingt.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I made a Police report some 11 years ago. The trouble and the steps they took to reach out to me to close the matter gave me a clear picture of what possibly goes on process wise. They spent at least 80% of their effort following some kind of bureaucratic non-investigative checklist on why they cannot proceed.

I put it down to prioritisation, lack of training, lack of resolve, lack of leadership and lack of resources. It wasted their time as well as mine. I learnt my lesson.

Most incidents do not have independent witnesses and no party that committed a crime or involved in violence is going to admit to someone who turns up at their door. In the old days, statements are taken, medical reports asked and matter goes to court whether veracity is determined by the courts.

Isn’t it surprise that crime across the UK is on the rise and I suspect many have given up reportingt.

Indeed, and, despite under reporting, still, the figures rise.

DRM

Guru

Yet amazingly, an auditor filming outside a Police Station can get several Police Officers outside within seconds wanting to know why they’re filming, who they are, and threatening arrest for pursuing a legal activity, it beggars belief

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Phaeton I think you have handled this whole matter in an exemplary fashion. You've been realistic about the outcome; ignored the doom mongerers and nay sayers who said it was pointless reporting; ignored those who advised you to commit damage with foam or fish; and have come across as a well balanced cove. In the long term this type of approach is much more healthy for you. I really hope you're over it and have many happy miles riding this year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Unfortunately we and you knew this was probably going to be the outcome ,but yes by reporting it it is on record which is a good thing
Most importantly how are you now

@Phaeton I think you have handled this whole matter in an exemplary fashion. You've been realistic about the outcome; ignored the doom mongerers and nay sayers who said it was pointless reporting; ignored those who advised you to commit damage with foam or fish; and have come across as a well balanced cove. In the long term this type of approach is much more healthy for you. I really hope you're over it and have many happy miles riding this year.
I'm okay for the most part, it still unnerves me slightly when I hear a vehicle approaching from behind around the area it happened once I'm past the road where the vehicle I have to presume was heading to then it's not too bad, I also think it will improve once the ride is in daylight.

I don't see the point in being vindictive, I have no idea where the person lives, only where the business operates from & his vehicle isn't there overnight & even if it was I'd still not do anything.

I have have 2 thoughts on the incident, I have in the past & I think I did this time was throw my right arm up in a "What am I supposed to do" gesture, which I think is/was taken as a FU, therefore I have decided that I will try to refrain from doing it again. The second thought is IF he did anything similar again, overtook me & stopped, he would have a 29" MTB in the face as he opened the door, he would not get the chance to make the first move, now whether I actually do that in the cold light of day/night is another matter.

Top Bottom