Just bought my first E-bike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
I have hip issues from years of bad gym form deadlifting. It affects my back day to day and I work in IT so sit at a desk all day. Over the past year I've realised days out cycling with lots of inclines aggrivates my hips/back so the ebike is to negate that issue.

I'm lucky enough that in my life just now I'm able to drop 2.5k on a bike without much thought so why not?

A normal cycle for me might be 15/20 miles but with this bike it will be more like 40/50 and I don't have to avoid hilly rides. Win win

I have hip issues from years of bad gym form deadlifting. It affects my back day to day and I work in IT so sit at a desk all day. Over the past year I've realised days out cycling with lots of inclines aggrivates my hips/back so the ebike is to negate that issue.

I'm lucky enough that in my life just now I'm able to drop 2.5k on a bike without much thought so why not?

A normal cycle for me might be 15/20 miles but with this bike it will be more like 40/50 and I don't have to avoid hilly rides. Win win

Good for you - I’m really not trying to question or undermine your decision. I’m impressed that you are keen enough on your cycling to find ways round the discomfort a non-e bike gives you. Something I’ll keep in mind for myself if I get similar discomforts

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Good for you - I’m really not trying to question or undermine your decision. I’m impressed that you are keen enough on your cycling to find ways round the discomfort a non-e bike gives you. Something I’ll keep in mind for myself if I get similar discomforts

Genuinely didn't think for a second you where mate

dodgy

I was at Llandegla the other day on my road bike, the place was swarming with 'kids' (which is anyone a lot younger than me ^_^ ) on e-bikes, some of them heading up the trails without pedalling. Llandegla have a policy against illegally modded e-bikes, difficult to enforce. I think a generation of kids are taking the easy option of fun before fitness. *

* I have an e-bike and they're brilliant! But obviously some buyers are buying them for all the best reasons, it's not always the case.

I might eventually buy a road e-bike, as long as I can put in say 250 watts constantly, I'll still get the health benefits of exercise. This is what my Gocycle enables me to do, my part of the deal is put in (say) 200 watts, and only then does the motor kick in. It's a great system.

keithmac

Guru
Lovely looking bike!.

I got my first ebike 6 years ago, just to make my commute more palatable.

I love a roadie style ebike but I just don't fit unfortunately.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Very tidy. I have a 2018 D30 (Tiagra - 105 was not available on them until 2019 when it became the D30 build). Almost 5000 miles now, no problems, except he app was pretty dodgy in the early days but seems quite stable now. The 2021 models have a much neater frame than the earlier ones. They have got rid of the curve at the bottom of the down tube which was quite a giveaway that it was an e bike. Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Very tidy. I have a 2018 D40 (Tiagra - 105 was not available on them until 2019 when it became the D40 build). Almost 5000 miles now, no problems, except he app was pretty dodgy in the early days but seems quite stable now. The 2021 models have a much neater frame than the earlier ones. They have got rid of the curve at the bottom of the down tube which was quite a giveaway that it was an e bike. Enjoy!

I have dabbled with the app however it came with a computer that can be mounted on the stem so negates the need for the app imho. Gives you battery life, the ability to change levels etc. I have my bolt attached to the built in mount out front as well.

Have only had it out once due to work/family however I have Thursday & Friday of this week off so away to Aberfoyle to do the dukes pass/Loch Katrine circular then over to the Isle of Bute on the Friday to do a circuit of there..... tad excited :-)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have dabbled with the app however it came with a computer that can be mounted on the stem so negates the need for the app imho. Gives you battery life, the ability to change levels etc. I have my bolt attached to the built in mount out front as well.

Have only had it out once due to work/family however I have Thursday & Friday of this week off so away to Aberfoyle to do the dukes pass/Loch Katrine circular then over to the Isle of Bute on the Friday to do a circuit of there..... tad excited :-)
The computer is another major improvement, the early ones only had the button on the top tube. Can you also change back through the levels now - 3 back to 2, 2 back to 1?
[corrected my post above, my bike is a D30 (2018) Tiagra, from 2019 the D30 has 105]

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
The computer is another major improvement, the early ones only had the button on the top tube. Can you also change back through the levels now - 3 back to 2, 2 back to 1?
[corrected my post above, my bike is a D30 (2018) Tiagra, from 2019 the D30 has 105]

You can with the computer yes but the top tube button is still only one way

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Excellent choice! (I am somewhat biased though)
They're fun in a subtle way - visually and power-wise.

Do you happen to know how to adjust the tension in the rear disk brake? I can't see any barrel adjusters at the bar or calliper end

mustang1

Guru
Having an e-bike is great although I do not have one yet. I would probably use it as a cross between a bike and motorcycle. Dont have the hassle of insurance/registration/etc of a motorbike and still have the advantages of a bike (caan us bike path, door-door parking, so on. Not as fast as a motorbike of course but i can see myself getting out on the bike on those days that I don't really feel like it.

Congrats, OP, on your new ride!

ps: i assume the car behind you is yours.... is your bike light enough for the roof rack specification to take the weight of the bike?

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
ps: i assume the car behind you is yours.... is your bike light enough for the roof rack specification to take the weight of the bike?

Hi,

Yes had it on the roof last week, No issues. I have a Boardman CX Gravel Bike and my ebike weighs about the same.

mikeIow

Guru
Looks a cracking bike!

Must admit, I have a lot of friends who poo-poo ebikes (aside from those who own one: they love 'em!).....& even though I just finished a LEJoG on my hybrid (& clearly have some degree of fitness!), I can easily see my next two-wheeler being an ebiike! I mostly hate hills.
A little boost up those pesky inclines would be perfect.....but having one that weighs not much more than a 'normal' bike would be the target. The technology is getting there!

Enjoy :okay:

Top Bottom